INSANE freezes in large projects.

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Bubblebot
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm

x

INSANE freezes in large projects.

FL Studio is snappy and responsive when working in small to medium sized projects, but as producers get more skilled they inevitably start creating bigger and bigger projects. After a certain point, when around 200 - 400 channels have been added, the program starts freezing for a few seconds any time the following actions are done:

- Adding a new channel (sample / VST)
- Making audio / automation clips unique (making patterns unique is still very fast)
- Creating an automation clip

This is completely insane. I have to assume that FL is doing something strange whenever a channel is created that requires it to iterate through every channel that already exists. Because of this, as the number of channels increases, all actions involving channels take longer and longer. Not a problem when the projects are small, but is a massive problem for large projects. Why does FL do this? In large projects I am constantly making sounds unique and creating automation clips, and at a certain point any time I take those actions the program freezes for literally 5 seconds each, killing my flow and making things take way longer than they should. 5 seconds is not an exaggeration.

This is NOT an issue of something I'm doing or my CPU. My CPU is heavy duty. I regularly use the macro to "select unused channels" and delete them to clear clutter. I've been using FL Studio for 10 years and I consider myself a very experienced producer. As FL users' music becomes advanced, their projects will become more complex, using far more samples, sounds, automation clips, etc. I use FL Studio due to a few of its great features, but this is an absolute deal-breaker. People take FL Studio much less seriously because it seems to be designed to work well for simple projects only, in more ways than just this.

I know many issues with large projects like PDC and track limits are being correcting in FL 20. I hope this issue is getting fixed as well. This is a completely unnecessary issue that I haven't seen in any other DAW I've used. There is no reason why creating new channels should need to iterate through every other channel and do some crazy nonsense.

If whatever iteration it's doing is important, then give us the option to turn it off. I'd much rather deal with some disorganization and minor annoyances instead of a program freezing for 5 seconds at a time when I'm trying to work.

jmc
Site Admin
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:10 am

x

Re: INSANE freezes in large projects.

Hi Erik, Thanks for pointing this out. Do you ...

Bubblebot
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm

x

Just sent you an email with details + a project...

Shinyless
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:31 pm

x

This should be fixed for the next build. Thank...

Bubblebot
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm

x

Awesome! You're welcome. Thanks for being on to...

Return to “To Do”