Troubles with newtone and why it is the most infurating plugin I have ever used.

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
danred
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am

x

Troubles with newtone and why it is the most infurating plugin I have ever used.

Don't get me wrong, I love newtone. Its great and i use it all the time now.
But here are the reasons I have found over the past few months of use of is why it is the worst.
Theres going to be a lot of this, this, and maybe even THIS, but bear with me

Looping is near impossible
When you control click to drag a selection in the timeline tracking bar as you would in the playlist, it skips back to the very start of the newtone playlist. Extremely annoying and i find myself doing it over and over again because of my instinctual method is to just do it that way because it's how it works in the playlist. The control click and drag on the timeline tracking bar ONLY works when you zoom all the way out, then select a area you want to loop, then zoom back in which is much less than ideal if your working with a small section of a vocal stem as you have to be zoomed all the way out yet have to try select just the bit you want to loop. Typically, myself (and I'm sure most people) work with a full stem and work one phrase or bar at a time then move to the next. Zooming all the way out, trying to find where the hell you just were to make the next selection, then zooming in again instead of just being able to loop the bar or phrase is just terrible. Also note that when zoomed in, the second you ctrl click the timeline track bar the zoom back to the start is instant and selects from where you just clicked to where you are now? WHAT WHY

Further, when you double click or control click the timeline tracking bar to delesect the section loop, as you would do in the timeline loops, it does THE SAME THING and just skips you back to the start. I mean, it does deselect the loop as you would expect, but now you have to scroll all the way out, try and remember and find the exact place you were up to, carefully select the next phrase of the song and then zoom back in like before. Moving from one looped section, making corrections on repeat until its right, and then moving on to the next section is pretty much what everyone would want to do every time for every part of every vocal stem forever. So instead I just have to, after each time you want to hear it, manually click up on the tracking bar where you want it to play from again or click one of the clips over and over and over because looping is just too annoying.
Note: Changing the settings for ignore host selection and ignore own selection does not fix this and it happens with every variation of those settings that i have tried including scroll to follow curser, etc.

Ctrl+Enter is not a good workaround. Not only do you generally want you want your loops to be looped to a grid, but because it selects by the chosen notes, at the starts and ends of a verse for example there is usually a big gap with no audio and generally there is audio attached to these so you end up selecting a section that has a trail thats just as long as the area you wanted and you have to wait for it to come back around every time you wanna hear it again. (as shown in pics). If you want to use this workaround you will have to also use the cut tool on every intro and outro trail. And even then it still wont be selected snapped to grid. And if you are working with vocals with frequent gaps you will have to make the cuts over and over. The song I am working on right now while typing this has one bar of vocals then a bar of no vocals. Not a more efficent work around to use the ctrl+enter shortcut and again I am back to having to manually click the trackbar to replay.

Newtone window randomly deselects and stops the shortcuts working
Spacebar, ctrl+Z, and Cut shortcut stop working at random times, I think only when the window becomes deselected. Couple this with the fact that the window becomes deselected at random times and you have one GOD DAMN ANNOYING BUG. One time i have noticed is when you are using detached plugins, if you double click to make newtone full screen, it makes it full screen yet makes it not the active window, then the spacebar to play will not work and nor will the cut tool shortcut. And then after hitting the C key a few times, a minute later you wonder why your vocal stems are all playing overlapped a bunch of times transposed half an octave down. It just hits whatever clip you had open or whatever vst as the keyboard is just being used as the regular midi option as though you were just in the channel rack, even though you have clicked the window bar twice to fullscreen it. Keep in mind the shortcuts still work when you manually click the buttons, the window just stays unselected/highlighted...
(For anyone who doesn't know what it looks like when a window is highlighted, the title, settings cog, and the icons - [ ] X in the top right become Bright and Bold not greyed out)
You have to click the actual top bar of the window to highlight it again. Note this doesn't happen all the time, half the time it just doesn't select it as the active window when you are using it.

I have only JUST NOW noticed while trying to recreate the problems to find what causes them, that at random times when the window is highlighted, that making an edit to a clip will just unselect the window. WHY WHY WHY. :?: :lol: :oops:

BONUS ROUND

Formant, volume, variation etc, floating info randomly just gets placed BEHIND the god damn notes. (see pic) And you have to shift the note up so the sign is visible, make the change then pitch it down again.
You could show the info in the top left panel where the pitch shift, key press etc information is shown, otherwise just make it always above the note images
Pic

Holding ALT to override snap like how every single other snapping feature works does not work for the cut tool. Instead holding alt with the cut tool just merges clips the same way Shift+Alt clicking does.

Metronome should work in newtone when not playing along with the playlist, or there should be a metronome option for within Newtone. Extremely needed In my opinion as you have to mute all in the playlist and turn it on with follow in playlist feature or whatever its called if you want it in newtone.

Middle mouse button does stuff to notes but does not tell you what in the manual. It seems to reset a slice to its original settings, shape, pitch and position, but it does not reset formant. or volume. Weirdly, because i use this button all the time to reset a clip, but now when i opened a new FL and newtone, when i clicked a clip with middle mouse button on a clip it just deletes it? Also not noted in the manual.

While going through the manual to find solutions to these problems I also came across this one:
I don't know what the advanced Edit shortcut does but The manual says it should do the same thing as double clicking a slice (zooms in on it and shows advanced tools) but when i tried it the first time it just selects all clips (its the same shortcut as select all, just why :lol: ) and then when i opened up a new project to try i t again it just doesnt do anything at all regardless of if I have a clip selected or not.

Please fix newtone, I want to love it more than I do now but Its just the worst.
<3

Return to “To Do”