True Peak Level Monitors for each Mixer Track!

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
morcus
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:26 pm

x

True Peak Level Monitors for each Mixer Track!

Ableton Live's mixer has a little numerical value by each mixer slot / track, and it will display the current true peak value. If I remember correctly, you can even change from true peak to RMS. If you click on the numbers, it will then increase in value until it sees the highest true peak value. It will then freeze on this number unless you click it again, or another higher true peak value pops up. Very useful for gain staging and level matching as you will get a precise reading with which you can immediately act on.

The gray oval with -0.79 inside and the yellow oval with 5.21 in it is what I'm talking about.

All Fabfilter plugins contain a similar level monitor.

From what I can tell, FL lacks this incredibly useful workflow feature. The meter on the mixer does not accurately display the level, meaning you have to guess the dB value of whatever you're inputting into a mixer track. You also have to diligently pay attention to dynamic inputs that tend to have random jumps in volume. For example, if I have a recording of a live drummer, and I'm trying to gain stage, then I will have to listen to every second of the audio clip while paying close attention to the meter to make sure I can be accurate. Having an actual value display that can track the highest dB level would allow you to do something else while you let it capture the highest peak level.

Return to “To Do”