Problems with Snap to Events (FL Studio 20)

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
spasticmouse
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:23 am

x

Problems with Snap to Events (FL Studio 20)

There are two main things that I feel would greatly enhance my experience with the Snap to Events function in FL Studio 20.

The first thing is actually something that functioned perfectly in FL Studio 12, and was a big reason why I didn't want to upgrade to 20, as well as why I still want to return to 12. And that is, when Snap to Events is turned on, the subdivisions of the grid lines shown in the playlist do not show nearly enough detail. This was not the case in FL Studio 12, as when Snap to Events is used there, all the smallest subdivisions of the grid lines can be seen, and would dynamically adjust themselves depending on how zoomed in the user was on the playlist.

Here is a screenshot of the playlist in FL Studio 12 while using Snap to Events:

And here it is in FL Studio 20:

As you can see, Snap to Events in FL Studio 20 has much less detailed grid subdivisions than in FL Studio 12, and is identical to Snap to Beats in visual orientation, one of the options with the least amount of detail.

Being able to see all the subdivisions is enormously useful, as someone who has Snap to Events turned on basically ALL the time, I want to be able to see where exactly clips are being placed in relation to other clips and the timeline, without needing to switch to a different Snap option every time just to check. Furthermore, I have not experienced any benefit whatsoever in NOT being able to see the smaller subdivisions, though I can understand why perhaps this function was removed, because it may be assumed that if one is using Snap to Events, one does not need to be able to see the smaller subdivisions. However as someone who uses Snap to Events almost exclusively, I can attest to the great helpfulness and efficiency this function brings.

Secondly, when working in the piano roll (and perhaps the playlist as well) I have noticed that when I am zoomed in very close, Snap to Events ceases to display the very helpful purple highlights on other notes that the active note is being snapped to. This makes it so that Snap to Events is essentially unusable at closer zoom levels, and I have to zoom out a certain amount in order for it to work.

Screenshot of Snap to Events purple highlights displayed properly at an average zoom:

Screenshot of Snap to Events purple highlights no longer displayed when zoomed in a lot:

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or if it's intentional, but I don't see why the highlights should stop working at closer zoom levels. I have not experienced any benefit to the purple highlights ceasing to display at such zoom levels.

So yeah, that's it for my problems with Snap to Events. If there is a good reason why Snap to Events is functioning in the way it currently is, please let me know why, as from what I've experienced, these "quirks" do not add any helpfulness whatsoever to the user, and are consistently tedious to deal with for someone who uses Snap to Events as their primary snap option.

Thanks for reading and considering these suggestions!

Return to “To Do”