Essential audio editing improvements

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Umziky
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:22 pm

x

Essential audio editing improvements

After being an intern at one of Helsinki's top recording studios for a few months, I started to notice some key features that FL is lacking, especially when it comes to working with multitracks such as drum recordings or live band recordings. Here's a list of feature's that I've come to miss when editing & mixing my band's album in FL:

-Linking audio tracks to be edited as one (basically groups, but cuts split into new groups so you don't have to redo all the groups after cutting if you want to do something to just one slice of the tracks) Essentially like having multiple clips work as one audio file with X amount of channels. Cuts, crossfades and other edits would be applied to respective tracks simultaneously.

-Take managing and compiling, ability to easily flip between takes, even on multitrack recordings

-Customisable quickfades in playlist, or perhaps ability to simultaneously change multiple clips' sample properties such as declicking. But declicking can only get you so far when you're editing drums and might want 30 different crossfades on different parts of the same clip. It would be a nightmare with automation clips, though of course you can't even crossfade a clip into itself using automation clips without making new clips, which would be out of the question if you're dealing with many cuts on the same audio clip. Literally every other DAW and even most video editors have quickfades/crossfades. Maybe you could just expand the declick feature to be customisable by dragging the corner of the audio clip in the playlist? This is a simple, yet big one that's been bugging me for years.

-Visual master waveform zoom in playlist(ability to make all waveforms look louder without changing the volume)

-Change audio clips' source channel while maintaining timing (rather than starting from the beginning)See post:viewtopic.php?f=1903&t=209175

-Ability to change project tempo while keeping all edits in sync, temporally loosening all playlist data from the grid (See post: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=208578)

-Normalizing audio clips based on a certain region (or the visible region)

-Tempo automations should stretch the grid rather than adjust the playhead's speed (This is the only way to make audio recorded on tempo changes line up properly)
See post: viewtopic.php?f=200&t=172527&p=1399008#p1215954

-A way to quantize multitrack drum recordings without warping or stretching. Auto slice + Quantize + Fill the gaps and crossfade.

This being said, I still want to thank the team for their hard work on this fantastic software. I think that with these improvements, FL could be competing with the industry standards on a whole other level when it comes to audio editing and recording. I believe in you!
Please tell me if there's anything I've overlooked. Peace,

~Johannes/Umziky

cosmothedon
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 pm

x

Re: Essential audio editing improvements

Real. 100 % Auto hiss an white noise removal wo...

Return to “To Do”