Improved window management/switching (this might actually work)

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Scoox
Tue May 05, 2020 10:20 pm

x

Improved window management/switching (this might actually work)

Meanwhile, I will propose a solution: the "FL task bar", which might look like this:
FL Studio task bar.png
Indeed it looks a bit like the Windows task bar, and that's exactly where the idea comes from. The bar along the bottom shows a button for each currently open window, whether the window is in view or buried under another window. Imagine you are working on a synth plugin, a reverb plugin, the mixer, the channel rack and the playlist, all of which are open, and everything else is currently not open i.e. closed. Rather than waste time scrolling up and down the channel rack or the mixer looking for a certain plugin (remember Tab doesn't work for detached windows ATM), which takes a lot of scrolling and window-switching, it'd be much more efficient if all the handful of plugins we are currently working with could be one click away, without any scrolling or any window switching.
  • The buttons along the bottom show all windows that are currently open, and not necessarily visible. This is similar to running programs in Windows.
  • Left-click a button to show the corresponding window regardless. This guarantees that the window can be seen with a single click, not like ATM where you some times need to click once and some times twice depending on whether the window was open or not.
  • To close a window, press the [X] button in the top-right corner of the window.
  • The button corresponding to the active window has a green border ("Sytrus - Bass" in my mock-up), again, similar to the the way the Windows task bar works, where the button for the active window looks different from the other buttons.
  • The buttons can be dragged left and right to freely reorder them in a way that makes sense to the user, just like buttons in the Windows task bar.
  • Middle-click on a task bar button closes the corresponding window (I think that is more useful than "rename" which can be done by middle-clicking the window title bar instead).
  • The Captionise button on plugin windows, the mixer, etc, could be used to minimise the window to the FL task bar, similar to the way windows in Windows can be minimized. This is a proven workflow all Windows users should instantly feel at home with.
The task bar could also be implemented vertically in a way similar to the Playlist pattern picker, to make it more scalable (able to accommodate more buttons).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scoox on Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Scoox
Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 am

x

Re: Window management in FL is BAD. Change my mind.

Trancelmania wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 9:31 amso...

Scoox
Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 am

x

Trancelmania wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 9:48 am I...

Scoox
Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 am

x

Trancelmania wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 10:21 am ...

Return to “To Do”