FIX the "organizational" system for saved audio, samples, etc. = more security against losing your work, better workflow

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
C|_0E|_
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm

x

FIX the "organizational" system for saved audio, samples, etc. = more security against losing your work, better workflow

The current system is bad. I mean, bad. Some audio gets saves in Documents. Some gets saved in the Patches folder under one of two other folders. Audio files are not patches, and they certainly aren't program files, which is a parent directory to Patches. It's ridiculous, it makes finding samples or backing them up much more difficult, and introduces more risk when you're doing things like reinstalling windows, or picking your work up somewhere else.

Launchers for video games (ie., steam, battlenet) allow you to point to a directory anywhere on your PC. I install my games on a drive just for games. This means when if something goes wrong with windows and I need to reinstall, all I have to do is redownload the launcher, point it to the right folder on the right drive, and boom, all my games are playable. That's exactly the kind of system FL studio should use. In fact, most convenient would be that everything EXCEPT for the bare bones DAW can be stored elsewhere, including presets, VST, etc. That way, if anything goes wrong and you should need to reinstall FL or windows, your hard drives fails, etc, all you need to do when reinstalling FL is point it to the folders, and boom, like nothing ever changed. Plus, small bonus - it would install faster.

The current system has caused me to lose quite a bit of work over the years. Is that my fault? Yeah, I should have been more careful. Should the system change to make it easier for us? If you ask me, it absolutely should. It would make your work much safer, since you can be sure you have all the data you need to recover a project in the easiest way possible, AND it would make sorting through your samples, exploring your libraries, etc, quicker and easier. Those are both a really really big deal IMO.

Return to “To Do”