Nesting Playlists

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
jameslee04
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:57 am

x

Nesting Playlists

I work primarily in visual art, and one thing that most DAWs are lacking is the ability to nest/precompose clips.

You might ask how it's different than grouping? Well, think of it more like an .FLP document withing an .FLP. Or better yet, a patcher instance within patcher. Currently, grouping clips keeps all of the complicated elements on the main playlist. It's essentially just a fancy way to move a bunch of clips together.

The benefit of nesting though is that you can keep a 'main' playlist very minimal and clean. I'm doing more of my film audio work in FL studio, and it'd be great to be able to have the music track nested to a single track, and the dialogue nested to another. All of the corresponding FX slots, instruments, everything, goes inside of the nest. It might lose some flexibility in routing etc, but that's the point. You want everything housed within a walled garden. Essentially flattening it down. Currently, you can bounce tracks, but it can get messy quickly especially if you have complicated FX routing.

I see a couple of ways to do it. Have a system whereby you create an .FLP within and .FLP, similar to a smart object in Photoshop. But perhaps better yet, would be creating something like a 'Patcher Clip' on the playlist. You can currently insert a patcher instance into an FX slot, or an instrument slot, why not the playlist as well?

Return to “To Do”