Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
DJ_PresTom_17
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:23 am

x

Maximus - Traditional Compression Controls Option

My problem

I find it tricky to intuitively compress audio in Maximus. I spend too much time thinking about what I'm drawing. I think it would be really useful if there was an option to 'dial-in' with traditional threshold and ratio controls, like you would in Fruity Limiter. This would move the points on the compression envelope. Once this shape is dialed in, you then still have the option to make fine adjustments to the compression envelope.

To expand a little further...

(If I'm making a mistake here, please let me know because I'd like to get to grips with Maximus better where possible)

In the compression envelope we have the 45 degree 1:1 line. Where the envelope exceeds that line, we get expansion and where it falls below it we get compression.

By my reckoning, setting the threshold of a traditional compressor can be likened to sliding the default control point found on the 1:1 (or 45 degree line) along the line itself. The difficulty I have in Maximus, is these points move on both the X and Y axis. I find myself thinking about which plane I want to move the curve in and trying to move it at the same time takes away from my ability to really hear the changes I'm making. With a normal compressor, Fruity Limiter for example, I can turn the threshold/ratio to an extreme setting, get what it's doing and dial in the settings intuitively without thinking about the fine-motor skills required to make the changes.

I'm curious to know if others have this same problem, or if there are any solutions. Potentially if this is a problem that others experience, then I think adding in some controls like in Fruity Limiter would be a really helpful addition to an already very powerful plugin. To reiterate, I don't want to lose the envelope, that's Maximus! I would like a hybrid solution for ease of workflow whilst also retaining the ability to then fine tune the envelope as you can at present.

Return to “To Do”