Assigning Layer channels as Instrument tracks (to Playlist and Mixer)

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
NextDAW
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:57 pm

x

Assigning Layer channels as Instrument tracks (to Playlist and Mixer)

^
I would like the ability to permanently assign a Layer channel as an Instrument track, so that I can maintain the dynamic naming and colouring link between all three elements of the parent 'Layer channel', 'Playlist track' and 'Mixer tracks.'

Currently, this functionality appears to be semi-working, semi-broken. As, when the dynamic link is set up, one method will initially set up all three elements correctly, but upon saving and reloading the project always 'forgets' about the dynamic link to the Mixer track which will only function correctly prior to being saved then reopened whereupon it will only retain the active link between the Layer channel and the Playlist track, But not the mixer track.

The second method does not even correctly link the Layer channel and Playlist track with the Mixer track to begin with.

Method #1:

Right-click Playlist track > Track mode > Instrument track > Use existing channel > Layer

This triggers the following dialog prompt:

Reroute channel?

'This channel is routed to the master. Auto assign it to a free mixer track?'

^ This is a good option and works when it is 'initially' set (i.e. renaming or recolouring the Mixer track will also dynamically update the Layer channel and Playlist track).

However, in addition to offering to 'Auto assign' to a mixer, the user should also be offered the option to route to a specific mixer track of our own choice manually, since the Layer channel's children may already have been set to an existing Mixer channel before being converted into an 'Instrument track.' (which is a very common occurrence in my workflow whenever I am composing a new project).

Also, this 'semi-working' method also contains a bug. Since, although it successfully links the Layer channel and Playlist track with the Mixer track 'initially'. It always forgets that dynamic link to the Mixer track upon saving and reopening the project (i.e. renaming or recolouring the relevant Mixer track no longer updates the linked Layer channel and Playlist track once the project is reloaded. But it does when the initial Instrument track is set up).

Method #2:

Plugin picker > (drag and drop new Layer from the picker onto an empty Playlist track name).

^ This method does not even route the Layer channel to a Mixer track, nor does it prompt the user with an option to do so (unlike Method #1) and effectively operates with a dynamic link set only between the Layer channel and the Playlist track.

My request:

Would it be possible to amend both of these 'convert Layer channel to Instrument Track' methods to behave in such a consistent way whereby they both retain the dynamic link to the mixer upon subsequently reloading the project, and also when initially setting up the Layer channel Instrument track, that they both prompt the user to assign to a specific Mixer track themselves? (the 'Auto assign' could still be included as an additional option, as for example in this image):

FL Studio - Assigning Layer channels as Instrument tracks.png

This would be the ideal setup for me because I often use Layer channels with child channels already routed to the same Mixer track. That Mixer track is typically already populated with various effects while I am experimenting before I decide to keep and use this Layer channel and Mixer track as an 'Instrument track.'

So for me, Method #1 currently operates almost perfectly, except that it prompts me to Auto assign to an empty Mixer track instead of providing me with the option to set it manually to the existing Mixer track the Layer channel's children are already routed to. And the fact that there appears to be a bug with Method #1 whereby it does not remember Layer channel's Instrument track link to the Mixer track upon subsequent reloading of projects.

I think I can guess why this is likely happening (since, in the legacy workflow, Layer channels were not themselves routed to the mixer, only their children.) Although, when used in the new 'Instrument track' workflow environment, it is highly beneficial for the mixer to recognise Layer channels the same as it does any other Generator channel, even if the only audio that Mixer track will actually receive will be sent from that parent Layer channel's children.

The dynamic link between the Layer channel and the Mixer track may only be 'symbolic', but it is important with regard to the Instrument track for retaining dynamic 'Naming and Colouring' purposes.

I hope I have explained these issues adequately and that the FL Studio team can tweak the current setup to accommodate the Layer channel to operate in this more efficient and consistent manner when utilised within the 'Instrument tracks' workflow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “To Do”