An impassioned plea about the scroll wheel...

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
beyondsonic
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:08 pm

x

An impassioned plea about the scroll wheel...

I am very quiet on the forums. I use FL to some of it's max potential in extremely advanced projects. How little I come here for help or to make suggestions is a testament to how intuitive and how nearly flawless FL Studio is as a creative tool.

Today I am going to talk about the scroll wheel.

Specifically it's added (and forced) functionality a few versions ago of changing parameters that the cursor is hovered over.

I try not to be a complainer. I love FL Studio! I cherish the opportunity its given me to so intuitively put the sonic ideas on my brain into reality. No other software will ever give me the creative flow that FL does. I'm banking my entire career on it.

But this week, I had a recording session. And guess what? Those are expensive. And with everybody working other jobs right now, you only get one. Which is why I am counting on professionalism from the FL Studio dev team to provide excellent software experience.

This week, during the recording session, the nightmare scenario that I have warned about finally happened. Half way through recording, by cursor ended up over the tempo and the scroll ring on my trackball mouse got nudged ever so slightly when I took my hand off of it. I didn't find out until days later when I was editing. Half of my talent's vocals are slightly off tempo from the other half.

So now I am forced to either: Restretch half the vocals and pray no one notices half the vocals for the song are slightly sped up, or rebook my talent to do the ENTIRE session over again, because vocals don't match well when recorded on different days.

The interface is so packed with functionality THERE IS NO PLACE TO PUT THE CURSOR that won't change a parameter if the scroll wheel gets bumped. And these scenarios could end up so much worse. There are so many ways this can go wrong. Levels set wrong and entire mixes mixed to the wrong levels. Stereo delay knobs getting hit and making entire elements disappear when played back in mono. Channels inadvertantly getting routed to the wrong mixer tracks. Things you don't notice until you've spent an hour tracking down why it just "sounds wrong". I've already lost precious hours in the studio compensating for this random and uncontrollable phantom.

The reason I am so impassioned is that there is evidently NO reason for not giving us one blasted toggle switch in the General Settings allowing us to turn this feature off... Does it take time for the dev team? I'm sure... But what may cost a few hours for you may cost collectively WEEKS to the producers using this software being impeded by one exceptionally sharp thorn in their workflow.

It was fine before... I never asked for it... And now it is actually, genuinely, objectively costing me resources... Please let us remove this thorn!

I don't know if this has been fixed in the latest update. I did search the forums, but couldn't find anything. If it has not been, I am actually BEGGING you to fix this. It CAN'T be that hard to code a single "on/off" functionality for a feature we know FL works fine with and without. If it has been, please let me know and I will update immediately... In either scenario, I am BEGGING you to PLEASE be mindful of these changes with new functionalities you are adding. It hurts no one to simply add a switch to make it optional. It's either that, or I am seriously going to have to consider reverting to an older version of FL. As to the idea of buying a new mouse - I've had several different kinds, and the problems persist. I have Tourrette's syndrome, which I don't often consider a disability... And has never been an issue for me... until this feature was introduced.

I am not asking for new features to be removed. I am not complaining about change. I am not trying to inhibit progress or deteriorate other's workflow. All I am asking for is just one button. That's it. And I am only asking because, for the first time, it has proved objectively, measurably harmful to my music production.

Would you please make this change for me?

Return to “To Do”