Zooming and Scrolling in Patcher (Map view)

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Xrenyn the MusicMage
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:43 pm

x

Zooming and Scrolling in Patcher (Map view)

I feel the need for a zoom feature and scrollbars in Patcher's Map View as patches sometimes get too large to be displayed on a single window or even an entire computer screen (see SeamlessR's Patches on YouTube for reference). Currently, Patcher will try to keep the entire patch visible at all times, which will make everything more cluttered the greater its height and width are: Chains are harder to distinguish, gain knobs are easier to miss, captions are harder to read - up to the point where plugins overlap one another and new chains can no longer be made without prior rearrangement.
If executed well, the ability to zoom in and out of a Patcher Map and pan/scroll the view around might counteract the clutter of large patches and the limits in usability that comes with it, which would allow users to more closely examine complicated effect chains and enable sound designers to make them even more complicated :wink:

---

On a personal note I started editing some sounds in Patcher that I had previously recorded using an Edison for each take and a Newtone instance for each sample that I could pitch-correct. Well...
Half a sample pack in one Patcher.png
... I'm not even halfway done and some captions are overlapping already. I thought this was gonna be a clever workflow for keeping the entire editing process of this sample pack on one screen for easy navigation but without the ability to zoom that approach doesn't scale very well (literally).

Also no hate for Patcher I think it's an absolutely sweet plugin to have, its current limitations in screen space just make me a little sad :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “To Do”