Any new browser?

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
The Spartan
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am

x

Any new browser?

This one is about the FLS Browser; what it lacks, what it needs and what should stay the same, whatever it costs.

Below I wrote about the collection of features I think the browser needs.

1. Overhaul snapshots:
The current system with snapshots is really confusing:
- 'show only one folder content' and 'show only opened folder' checkboxes are per snapshot and accessible through the main browser menu which implies its a global setting
- 'rename/color' and 'frozen' are per snapshot and accessible in another place than the other per snapshot settings
- The only thing indicating which snapshot is currently active when 'renaming/coloring' and 'freezing' is that the current snapshot's text-font is bold (found in the same drop-down menu!) (not having selected an icon -> no tab)
- No direct access to these per tab

Improvements
to be made:
- Make snapshots (Tabs) dynamic
- 'show only one folder content', 'show only opened folder', 'rename/color' and 'frozen' settings accessible through a right click menu on the tab.
- Ability to right click -> open in new tab
- Add a plus for adding a new tab
- 'shift+left click' to rename/color tabs and set icon.
(- Per tab bookmarks?)

These ideas would result in this
browser (3).PNG
2. Search function (You can do it! You already did it with FLEX)
- Search function shows all search relevant content only
- Search function with the ability to apply filters at the same time
- Any/All functionality (as in FLEX)
- randomize search results function
2.1 Filters / Tags
- Sort by instrument type, genre, file format, BPM, Key, favourites
- Favourites

3. Preview area
- Hidable area for file specific infos and preview options.
- Synced preview of samples with bpm informations and/or time markers.
- waveform display, editable sample info (name, bpm, key ...)
- pitch shifter for samples (preview your samples in the correct key)
Also:
- Preview for flp. projects

Trancit had some really nice ideas concerning the preview area. I hope @Trancit you don't mind getting cited here :?
Trancit wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 pm

1. and most important to me: There are too many kinds of sounds which are nearly impossible to preview properly... Risers, samples with silence in front etc...
And even if the new trick with ALT+click helps a bit it´s still very uncomfortable without "seeing" the waveform to get an idea about the type of sound ...

The browser really needs a preview window on the bottom, showing the waveform and I need to be able to click into the waveform display to change the play position...
I don´t want to preview everything of a 32 bars fill or riser nor do I want to hear 10 seconds of silence because this stem was exported like this and is part of a construction kit...

At the moment I work around that by having a seperate arrangement with an audio clip into which I drag the samples for previewing... and where I can see the waveform as well as placing the play cursor where I want...
But this is just a workaround and should really be integrated in the browser...

2. Please remove any time limitations for preview and make dedicated play controls for the preview...
I don´t want to preview a time synced loop just 5 seconds to my present beat... I want to preview it as long as I like...

3. Preview midi files by making it possible to route the preview to a certain instrument... in best case with an option to transpose the preview...!
Maybe something like this:
browser (4).PNG
4. Alt+F8? Change Browser Shortcut
He says it all
Trancit wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 pm
4. Would it perhaps be possible to give the browser a different shortcut???
... Somehow I find ALT+F8 far too complicated for such a simple task... Why do have "Midi Settings" and "Project Info" such simple shortcuts with F10 and F11??

Honestely, what do you expect how often a user hits these Shortcuts during the creation of a song?? Never??? Or perhaps F11 one time to enter the meta data for this song...

Compared to that I would like to hide the browser about 500 times per day... it´s imho a bit disproportional...
Nothing to be added here :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by The Spartan on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Spartan
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 am

x

Re: Any new browser?

Currently one tab can only remember one state t...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Spartan
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:37 pm

x

Re: Any new browser?

I heard, a "new" browser might be in the making...

Return to “To Do”