Trace Automation Back to Controls

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
brownacid
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:53 am

x

Trace Automation Back to Controls

If I'm looking at an automation clip, there doesn't seem to be any way to find out what controls it's linked to. Generally, in my own projects, I can figure this out from the name of the clip and its location in the playlist, but sometimes an automation clip is controlling several things and in that case it's hard to see what's linked to what. And when you're looking at someone else's project it's impossible, especially if the project is badly organized, or organized according to unfamiliar principles.

It would be helpful if each automation channel had a "Linked controls" option, which would show you which instruments, channels, mixer tracks, effect slots and/or project-level controls the automation is linked to (and ideally which knob within that track/slot/whatever). The details of each automation link are already available when you're coming at it from the opposite direction - once you know which knob to look at, you can click on it & say "Link to controller" which will lead you to the automation.

Ideally, I'd like to see a master automation grid, showing all the automated controls & all the controllers, and a link showing what's linked to what. This would be a great central place to show all the initialized values and provide an option to resolve conflicts, systematically delete automations, identify broken links etc. But for the moment, the main thing that's missing is the ability to start at a controller and find out what it's linked to.

PS - I don't use external controllers or control surfaces, so I don't know how well they'd fit into this proposal, but of course they'd need to be supported too.

BinaryBorn
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am

x

Re: Trace Automation Back to Controls

The new Automation Clip window lists linked con...

brownacid
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 am

x

BinaryBorn wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am Th...

The Spartan
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:58 am

x

pnuttz wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 am Binary...

SuperTRev
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:02 am

x

Last edited by SuperTRev on Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milinor
Technical Support
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm

x

aaaaand here is the link to 20.9 beta4 : viewto...

brownacid
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:26 pm

x

Milinor wrote: ↑Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm aaaaa...

timswiley
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:04 am

x

Anyone heard if this new Automation Clip Link L...

brownacid
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 am

x

timswiley wrote: ↑Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:04 am Anyo...

Return to “To Do”