Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Kogani
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:59 am

x

Use dotted quarter note for ternary beat unit

Suggestion

In real music world, we often use dotted quarter note as the beat unit in ternary pieces.
In FL Studio, beat unit will be eighth note if you set a ternary time signature (6/8, 12/8...).

My suggestion is to use dotted quarter note as the beat unit in FL Studio too for ternary time signatures, instead of eighth note.

More details

I'm working on a piece with a tempo of 103 on the dotted quarter note.
Working on the same piece with a tempo of 309 on the eighth note is quickly annoying.

I found two workarounds:
- Use time division instead of time signature (with 3 steps per beat and 4 beats per bar)
- Add a percussion loop pattern to simulate a dotted quarter note metronome with a note every 3 beats

Since I transcribe existing music more than I compose, the first one is far from ideal in my workflow.
Most of the time, I begin by writing a MuseScore sheet music first, then export it to midi and import it in FL Studio. So I don't start from scratch.
When switching to time division, the duration of existing notes is not changed and it is twice too long, as you can see here :
time signature.PNG
time division.PNG
The second one is convenient but it's still a workaround.
For me, eighth note should be a step and dotted quarter note a beat, shouldn't it?
And maybe there are some drawbacks I didn't notice yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “To Do”