Randomize Option/Advanced Parameter Sequencer/Articulator Tool for Channel Rack Graph Editor

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Swiftdreamer
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:21 pm

x

Randomize Option/Advanced Parameter Sequencer/Articulator Tool for Channel Rack Graph Editor

As I mentioned before in a thread which was seen by Evyi here, having an option to randomize the parameters in the channel rack's graph editor would be a great feature that would not only make randomizing step velocity, panning, pitch, etc. for drum oneshots (hihats especially) easier/more fluid vs going using the randomize option in the piano roll settings, it would also allow the randomization of the shift parameter, which is currently not an option you can do in FL on a step basis in a straight forward way (acknowledging that this could possibly be done by creating an automation clip for the target channel's shift knob and using the Envelope Sequencer ("Create sequence" option under articulation tools) on the automation clip, but I feel like its an option that is underutilized by FL users).

Speaking of the Envelope sequencer tool, I believe the feature could be a great foundation to the channel rack graph editor as an advanced parameter sequencer and randomizer option. As you can see, the graph editors for the channel rack and create sequence are pretty much identical in functionality and aesthetics:
create sequence attack slope graph editor.PNG
Channel Rack velocity graph editor.PNG
create sequence decay slope graph editor.PNG
Channel Rack fine pitch graph editor.PNG

I think an advanced parameter sequencer for the channel rack can keep a bunch of the structure found in the Envelope Sequencer tool, but renaming the tabs and knobs to the tabs found in the channel rack graph editor:
Channel Rack randomized advanced.png
The knobs to the right could limit or expand the range of values in the parameter sequence. I think also adding Offset knobs (this knob functions as the slider seen in the scale levels tool), and/or phase knobs to this window to change the order of when the sequence (like the phase knob found in the LFO tool in the piano roll) would be useful features to include to the pattern sequencer tool:
Offset knob ex.PNG
Phase knob to add to channel rack create sequence.PNG
I think the simple controls that could be added to the channel rack graph editor view is a button with the randomize icon, which would randomize all values of the targeted parameter in the channel rack based on the enabled steps, and have a reset button to reset all values in the targeted parameter to 0%; it would also be cool if right clicking the random icon Humanizes (or randomize values in smaller increments) the target parameter while leaving Left Click to randomize values normally. To the right of those buttons could be a dropdown arrow that would reveal the advanced/create sequence option. Right clicking the graph editor icon on the top right of the channel rack also reveals the dropdown arrow options. if it seems like it might be too cluttered, I also think removing the reset button and adding the option to the dropdown list could also be an option. here's some ideas of what this could look like (I forgot to move the buttons/dropdown arrow to make it seemed like it will always be aligned to the right, which may be more pleasing aesthetically:
Channel Rack randomized.png
Channel Rack randomized minimal.png
I'm not sure if this would be easier/harder to implement into the Channel Rack Graph Editor, but maybe the dropdown list I proposed could also have articulator tools added to manipulate the parameters. Having some features in the dropdown list(full list found in most interfaces with envelope editors in FL) being compatible with the channel rack graph editor parameters could mean it wouldn't be necessary to add some of the ideas proposed for the parameter sequencer, which helps prevents the interface from being too cluttered with features. if it's too tedious to be worth the effort for most of the options, maybe adding the option to copy/paste/store/save the state of the value changes, scale levels, normalize levels, flip vertically and the piano roll's LFO tool can be implemented:
Channel Rack articulator tools full list.PNG
Channel Rack articulator tools.png

I encourage anyone who see this to suggest improvements to the idea as they see fit. Hopefully something like this can be implemented in FL21
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “To Do”