Universal preset converter idea

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
QuadrupleA
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 pm

x

Universal preset converter idea

Hey all - I'm a longtime developer, and wanted to get people's thoughts on an idea I'm considering. The grand vision would be a universal preset converter between popular synths - say, Serum, Harmor, Sylenth and Massive. So take, e.g., a Serum preset, and automatically convert it to a close-as-possible a representation in Harmor.

Each to/from synth pair would likely be a huge amount of dev work though, so initially I was thinking to experiment with just a Serum to Harmor converter - Harmor has a ton of flexibility and features that map pretty directly (wavetable -> img, Serum filter types -> custom filter & resonance shapes, etc.).

Anyway, tech stuff aside, I was curious:

For users: How interesting would a Serum to Harmor converter be, or the grander Universal Preset Converter? Would it be worth shelling out $25 or $50 for? It would be a ton of development work, and I sometimes have the dumb habit of sinking too much time into things that are technically interesting but don't make sense business-wise.

It'd potentially save the need to buy one or more $100 - $300 synths which is cool. Would also let sound designers who own both move stuff over to the synth they understand the deepest.

For Image-Line: would a 3rd-party utility like this be kosher legally / business-wise? I've gone a little down the road of figuring out the preset formats on both sides and it seems feasible technically, although it'd take a ton of experimentation and by-ear matching. A Serum to Harmor converter would help Harmor / FL's popularity I would think, so would be a benefit to IL. I did see a clause about reverse engineering in the FL EULA though, not sure if that applies to .fst preset files. And I imagine Serum or the "from" synth vendors wouldn't be too pleased about it until there's a "to" version to convert to their preset formats too.

Anyway thanks - curious people's thoughts.

Return to “To Do”