Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
/AND/
Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 pm

x

Differential updates?

Guys at IL,

Isn't it possible to convert your updates to differential ones, starting from each major version as the anchor? These downloads are really getting off-hand now, approaching 1 GB. Yeah, I know Internet is cheap, but why not optimise everything? As a bonus, your servers won't be so tasked.

The idea is to have each major version (i.e. 20, 21 etc.) as the original 'anchor' out of which next updates will be differentially updated by the installer. All you need to do after compiling is write a simple script that will do a hash check on each file and compare with those from the previous version. Then only pack the files that are changed, and task the installer with updating these files (those that want to install separate version still can, the installer will copy the old unchanged files with the new changed ones in a new folder). In this way, potentially, you'd save hundreds of megabytes that you don't need to update each time, such as samples, presets, etc.

Bonus thing is that in this way you'd be able to check for integrity post-installation wise on a user's computer. And you'll save us some time and bandwidth too. I say win-win (except for some small programming time spent on developing it).

Return to “To Do”