Regions Lane (good for listing chord progs) like with Reaper, or Chord Track as in Tracktion or Studio One

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
jesussaddle
Sat May 28, 2022 7:45 am

x

Regions Lane (good for listing chord progs) like with Reaper, or Chord Track as in Tracktion or Studio One

I think FL Studio should do this:

(example of a DAW with pattern generator principles (also Jammer Pro 6, Band In A box, Studio One, Mixed In Key Captains plugins, and Scaler use related aspects of this - only Jammer had a nearly perfected approach that was user friendly, but FL Studio could knock this kind of thing out of the park....)

Since FL Studio is so flexible, things like tempo automation are done with automation clips that can be literally placed in any vertical position on the playlist. I imagine there is a hierarchy to these (maybe its the last one that was created) in case they overlap. Well, if not, the idea of a Regions Lane like in Reaper might be handy for FL Studio to add in (Regions being a different animal than markers...) A region is just a handy way to place notes on the playlist, such as to drag one out and call it Verse (starting and ending where the song verse starts and ends). Or more for my purpose, drag it out to the length of a chord, to put a reminder of what chord harmony is present (like where there are a bunch of complicated arpeggiated notes and I want to remember that, Oh yeah, I discovered that this part of the bar is functioning as a Major 9 Sus (Helpful if you are not finishing the track and will need a reminder). (You could even just place it where your chorus or verse began, and list the chord names of the chorus or verse to remind yourself.)

But anyway, I see it as doable for Image Line to do the full blown pattern generator thing as above - if you have something like that tempo automation, but instead it is coding that portion of time to a certain chord - so that if you select in the piano roll to follow the chord, then you have a similar thing like what Tracktion Waveform and those other "pattern generator" kinds of things are doing.

Then you can have regular MIDI, but you can also have MIDI that is "controlled" by algorithms for bass or melody, for instance, that each would be dependent on there being a value for a chord at that time segment location.

I have the old Jammer Pro 6 manual here, and there are certain things nobody has caught up to (the cool way they implemented 'voicing tables' for example, which has 2 parts, a voicing range, which constrains to a limited range of notes, always needed with MIDI instruments when you have algorithms selecting from potentially many octaves - u can't just limit the octaves because sometimes there is a more narrow cut off between acceptable sounding and unacceptable sounding, and a voicing table where one enters possible chord voicings - these voicings can be used for auto-chord and auto-riff kinds of things (auto riffs use a given voicing and do something algorithmic based on the rhythm in the groove, and the available voices given in the chord voicing - I have forgotten exactly what all the options are but trust me, there's no need to re-write the book - Soundtrek laid it out beautifully) and certain things that Jammer never perfected, especially that they never let the user properly use rhythm templates. I'm hoping some DAW will kick ass and do so. The "definitions" section of that Jammer manual is 23 pages of notes on the algorithms. If no DAW properly tackles this I'll do it one day if I can - it isn't really feasible in a plugin, and the future is leading in this direction for someone.

Return to “To Do”