improving the user experience of adding automation clips and consolidating audio

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
pentachronic
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:36 pm

x

improving the user experience of adding automation clips and consolidating audio

currently, when creating new automation clips from something that is not linked to an audio or instrument track, the new automation clip is added onto the first playlist track that has enough free space to contain it. this can cause it to be placed onto a dedicated audio or instrument track where it does not make sense to do so. i feel that a more reasonable behavior would be for a new playlist track to be inserted at the top of the playlist to contain the new automation clip.

there are also issues with consolidating audio from clips in the playlist that need to be addressed:

firstly, when consolidating audio from clips spanning a selection including a single parent-level track that is also the first track in the selection, the newly inserted track is made to be the new parent-level track, with a default color. this frustrates the intent of the user to have the already-assigned parent track be the parent of its group of tracks. instead, i propose that the newly insert track be placed as the first child of the parent-level track, also inheriting the color of the parent-level track. i cannot think of a case where i would want the newly inserted track to become a parent of some existing track.

secondly, when consolidating audio from an unbroken sequence of consecutive clips (of any kind) on any single track, there needs to be an option for consolidating those clips in-place (that is, removing the sequence of clips from the playlist and replacing them with the new audio clip) rather than inserting a new track to contain the clip and leaving the original clips muted. this would allow for a speedier workflow.

i believe little affordances like these would help add up to a really smooth workflow for anyone using FL studio.

Return to “To Do”