Look Ahead Sidechain Ducking (look ahead compression)

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
JoshuaVanName
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:20 pm

x

Look Ahead Sidechain Ducking (look ahead compression)

Hello,

Request:
I would love to see a feature to make look ahead volume ducking (in front of drum transients) more accessible within FL Studio.

Existing Method (one example):
Currently, there are ways to achieve this effect, but it's time consuming to set up and can be difficult to work with. For example, the Layer tool can be used to trigger a volume automation clip and a percussive hit, at the same time, with midi; then, the percussion can be delayed with a simple delay FX to offset the volume automation from the percussion signal. Unfortunately, that method would require drum patterns in the playlist to be shifted to the left to compensate for the delayed drum signal and achieve true look ahead ducking.

Other DAWs:
Ableton's stock compressor allows direct look ahead ducking (up to 10ms) based off the sidechain input from any group/instrument. This is a fantastic and simple way of accomplishing the effect.

Use in music:
Look ahead ducking is more of an aesthetic/style choice; it is used to create very snappy and clean sidechain ducking of other signals for the purposes of pristine drum transients in the mix; currently, this effect finds the most use in Drum and Bass sub genres.

I would love to see more support for such an effect.

Kind regards,

Joshua

dgv
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm

x

Re: Look Ahead Sidechain Ducking (look ahead compression)

The Attack parameter in the Limiter section in ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoshuaVanName
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:46 pm

x

dgv wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm The Attack...
Last edited by JoshuaVanName on Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dgv
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:49 pm

x

JoshuaVanName wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:46 pm ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoshuaVanName
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:16 pm

x

Hello Again, Sorry!! I misunderstood... I wasn...

Return to “To Do”