Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Dux
Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm

x

DirectWave lacks multi-out flexibility

Hello all!

I cannot tell enough good things about DirectWave, but there's one big thing that bothers me from the beginning - flexibility of multi-outs configurations. For example: why can't you assign different zones to different outs? Especially when *not* in Multi-Timbral mode, it doesn't make any sense. There only needs to be one more column beside nr. of voices that says "Out".

When in multi-timbral mode, you could have an additional option of choosing "P" for "program out" [on zone page] or any of the 16 individual outs. "P" or "Program out" should be the default for zones so to avoid any confusion. Simple, eh? But powerful.

That would make DirectWave faaar more flexible for us that program a lot of different zones in a program, like drum kits, and want to assign them to different individual outs for further processing. For drum kits, it's essential, as you can put, say, kick on out 1 and snare on out 2, and you can EQ them differently. Basic stuff... a former hard core hardware sampler user would say :).

As things are now, to utilise all 16 outs, you have to make a kick program, then snare program...etc. All in all, you have only 16 programs and 16 outs. It doesn't make any sense, because what are zones for then? It's much easier to assemble kits and even sounds in zones. You can have even have different programs for different songs this way, that contain all you need in a song - one program per song, 16 different programs/setups for 16 different songs. You could have 4 different sounds, split in 4 octaves, and a 5th octave for drums, all on different outs, for example.

The other thing that would make those outs more useful is an option to make them mono/stereo, so if one's using 32 mono drum sounds, you can put them all on 32 individual outs. I don't see any advantages in putting a stereo kick or bass in a mix, but I can see advantages in processing mono channels rather than stereo-less channels=less CPU processing.

Those two feature requests seem rather small, but have big impact on DirectWave's flexibility IMO. It almost seems like it's been planned, but not implemented yet, because when you put DW in "solo-timbral" mode, you can still see those individual outs, but you can't use them.

All the best,

Cheers!

dee2good
Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 pm

x

I agree, this sounds like a great idea.

hermann
Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:37 pm

x

yes i agree. actually you can use multiple out...

dee2good
Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm

x

yeah, but what hes saying is splitting outs by ...

Return to “To Do”