On-demand generator processing

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
funkytecknician
Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:51 pm

x

On-demand generator processing

My production style is very CPU intensive and a I frequently end up maxing out my i7. As much as I try to optimize my Sytrus generators such that they accomplish a certain sound with the fewest amount of operations, things still seem to max out. As a workaround I often will render out certain generators to .WAV and then bring them back in as a sample channel, which can be cumbersome. This is frustrating as I'd like to whimsically be able to change or adjust notes without having to render every time. Doing as such only serves to interrupt my workflow.

My solution would be to have FL automatically render into "chunks" as one makes alterations to a given channel. From the client's perspective, it'd appear as nothing is different; however, in the background, FL would be rendering a generator channel's data to a hard-drive cache area. This rendering could operate within a low-priority background thread. Therefore, upon playing a project, FL wouldn't have to compute every generator's momentary output, but, instead, read from each channel's corresponding cache file. After FL is closed, the cache files could be erased.

Cache files would be defined as a set of chunks, each representing, say, 4 seconds. If one adds a note, slices a chord, alters a velocity, or, in short, makes a change within the corresponding chunk's area, only that chunk need be updated.

This idea might entail a great deal of HD usage, so perhaps it could be an option in the settings. E.g., "Enable FL Channel Caching". 5 minutes of caching for even just one channel is definitely expensive, as this would require 106mb of HD space (assuming one sample is 4 bytes). Nevertheless, FL's modular, pattern-based nature would in most cases bypass such a space demand. It is probably rare that a single pattern might last 5 minutes.

The theory behind this idea is that, typically, only one channel is ever being "dealt" with. A composer is usually only making modifications to one channel. This is evidenced by the piano roll; it can only display one channel at a time.

Thanks for your time,
N

gol
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

x

Re: On-demand generator processing

Cache files would be defined as a set of chunks...

tomaschavez00
Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:51 pm

x

Re: On-demand generator processing

Couldn't there be a macro for bouncing a mixer ...

Return to “To Do”