Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:48 am

x

Dedicated audio PC

I'm committed to the notion of soft-synths over hardware now, although I still eyeball the Virus TI from time to time, I've decided I get can get more out of VST plugins and currently using FLStudio as the sequencer.

So, I'm thinking about a dedicated music PC, because while my main PC is quite capable it is a shared resource, I find myself moving stuff out of the way to do music, moving the music stuff out of the way to do programming (software, not synths) work, etc. and it gets to be too much. Not to mention I've got a gazillion services running on this PC which don't need to be stepping on my CPU cycles while creating music.

At some point I want to set up a music workspace that does nothing but that -- and is available and ready when inspiration strikes, including dedicated (LCD) monitor, dedicated audio monitors (speakers) and the OS configuration optimized for making music (probably XP for now, maybe Vista later, whereas I have the need to go to Vista now on my primary machine).

So, I've been looking at the offerings from this company... please take a look at this machine (paying more attention to the audio features than the other components) and let me know your thoughts. It seems like a great value.... I can find myself plunking down $1600 for this much faster than I can three grand for a dedicated hardware device with limited capabilities.

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=97

The only reason I'm looking at Velocity Micro is I bought my last PC from them, it is an absolute workhorse and by far the most stable PC I've ever owned, quality components throughout. But, then again it is a PC I bought a year and a half ago with programming and some gaming in mind rather that top-rate audio production. It was not one of the ones in their digital audio workstation series, so it has a Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio card -- the latency is fine and the thing is fast enough, but I am interested in a higher-quality output (if you search the forums for some of my songs you can get examples easily enough). Their audio workstations look appealing, given my past experiences with the brand, and I like the fact it is configured and tested.

The audio interface is an EMU 1212m. I know Creative has tarnished their reputation recently and EMU is now owned by them, so my primary questions center around this interface as a professional-grade music production device and how suitable it is, since they do not seem to offer much else in terms of "real" audio gear.

So what I would really like to know is, what are my other options in the same price range in terms of a dedicated audio PC? Portability is not an issue. Overall performance, sound quality, reliability, and flexibility are key.

kitekrazy
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:07 am

x

You should learn how to build your own. It's no...

defect9
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:11 am

x

Re: Dedicated audio PC

Bucko wrote:It was not one of the ones in their...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:14 am

x

a dedicated audio pc is a great idea... almost...

GUN!
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:17 am

x

You could built that exact rig yourself for abo...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:19 am

x

or more vst stuff, or even... you could go out ...

Jed I Knight
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:24 am

x

GUN! wrote:You could built that exact rig yours...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:27 am

x

you guys should look up pcs for daw stuff... wa...

defect9
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:04 am

x

davidbuhau wrote:you guys should look up pcs fo...

Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:22 am

x

I used to build PC's but I haven't done it in p...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:32 am

x

from the time i open the first box, my record t...

Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:57 am

x

I repeat, I'm in category #2. Appreciate the r...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:03 am

x

building a pc is pretty much the same... the co...

Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:16 am

x

Thanks David, I'll definately keep that in mind...

defect9
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:56 am

x

Bucko wrote:Thanks David, I'll definately keep ...

GUN!
Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:33 pm

x

Honestly, the PC itself really doesn't matter. ...

Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:36 pm

x

Any first hand experience with Cyberpower? I l...

Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:39 pm

x

GUN! wrote:Spend an additional $200-300 on a go...

thagreatbelow
Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:56 pm

x

There's a very simple solution to all of this. ...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:22 pm

x

saying that the audio interface has ANYTHING to...

Jed I Knight
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:27 pm

x

davidbuhau wrote:saying that the audio interfac...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:34 pm

x

but this is all for the purpose of monitoring.....

Jed I Knight
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 pm

x

davidbuhau wrote:but this is all for the purpos...

davidbuhau
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 pm

x

my friend liam uses the on board sound on his c...

kitekrazy
Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:57 pm

x

davidbuhau wrote:a dedicated audio pc is a grea...

Bucko
Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:01 pm

x

thagreatbelow wrote:There's a very simple solut...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”