FR: Paint last clicked item improvement

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Scoox
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:11 am

x

FR: Paint last clicked item improvement

In FL Studio, whatever the last note/clip you clicked is what FL Studio will paint. First let me say, I think this alone makes editing in FL Studio faster than any other DAW, along with right-click to delete.

However, yesterday I read this post which got me thinking:
jesussaddle wrote:The first is that when you right click on the Magnet Icon to give a length for the next notes you enter, you defeat that the moment you edit any note with a different length. Is there some way to avoid your chosen length being "assimilated" by the length of the note just clicked on? Say you want to work between channel instruments, and you want to copy material from a groove going on in a synth or bass part you MIDI-recorded. Maybe you turn "editable ghost notes on", and are periodically copying a line here or a little pair of notes there. Every time you happen to click on any long notes, you need to go back and right click the magnet and change the note length back to a short one, because the long lengths you un-intentionally insert when doing this often extend under other notes...frustrating.
The problem is that some times you don't want FL to "pick up" the last clicked item (note or clip) and obviously FL can't read your mind, but then again we don't have any way to communicate our intentions to FL!

Currently FL Studio paints the last-clicked item, the last-clicked item being any item that has been:

● clicked without moving the mouse (the item neither moves or resizes), or...
● moved, or...
● resized

After sleeping over it, I realised the problem: moved and resized items should not count as last-clicked, only items that were clicked without moving the mouse. In other words, FL Studio should paint the last-clicked item that was neither resized nor moved.

This has some several benefits:

(1) It is intuitive (can easily be learned by trial and error).
(2) It gives users finer command of FL Studio.
(3) It is error-tolerant: If users click on the wrong item and doesn't want FL to remember that as the last-clicked item, they can simply move the mouse around and then back to the original position. This way the condition that the mouse must not have moved is no longer satisfied, and FL Studio won't update the last-clicked item, even if the start and end positions of the mouse pointer are exactly identical (FL should monitor for the fact that the mouse has moved at all, not just the button-down and button-up locations).

Cheers!

jesussaddle
Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:35 am

x

Re: FR: Paint last clicked item improvement

I wholeheartedly agree, that's a good suggestio...

jesussaddle
Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:37 am

x

I'm not sure, since I'm brand new to FL, if thi...

Scoox
Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:29 am

x

The copy/paste behaviour is a bit weird in my o...

jesussaddle
Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:15 am

x

Scoox wrote:The copy/paste behaviour is a bit w...

Scoox
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:37 am

x

Sorry I made a mistake in my previous post, the...

Scoox
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:45 am

x

jesussaddle wrote:Scoox wrote:Sorry I made a mi...

Return to “To Do”