Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Lusterquin
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 pm

x

How to make complextro music

Hi!

So now that I've found a decent screen recorder (considering my laptop's GPU limitations), I've really gotten into recording how-to videos and walkthroughs that showcase some techniques I use to compose various types of projects. Today, I'll show you what I think is one of the most difficult production techniques because of one reason alone: writer's block. I can't tell you how many times that I have started on a complextro-style drop and given up after a couple beats/bars due to losing motivation, or lacking direction, or lacking patience (and perhaps a combination of those). With "Lavender Soundwave," I utilized some techniques to overcome those challenges and complete a successful project.

Whether you are interested in producing complextro music or you simply entice at a fresh approach to composition (or maybe you just like stalking other people's project files), I am happy to share with you a video that may offer something for you to chew on!

I use the analogy of "coloring inside the lines" as a metaphor to describe how to make music sound clean and sharp, which in complextro is especially important to carefully think about as you juggle many sounds (or "colors"). Some general points I touch on:
  1. Importance of sound selection
  2. Planning about the mood or melody of the drop
  3. "Sharing" a single melody with various sounds using the "Select more at random" tool
  4. Utilizing blips and chiptune effect samples as fills
  5. Fun things you can do with Gross Beat to enhance your sound
  6. How automation can help bolster the clarity of arrangement
I'd love to hear both: (1) what you get from the video, and (2) some techniques of your own that are relevant to this discussion. As I intend to make more videos like this, I'd invite your feedback.

Happy composing!

~ lusterquin

levendis
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

x

Re: How to make complextro music

i love the tip you gave to move random note sel...

Spivkurl
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 am

x

I've watched part of it, and will finish it soo...

Lusterquin
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 am

x

Thanks for the comments! And levendis, I'm happ...

levendis
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am

x

i'd presumed that complextro was intentional an...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”