Reconvolve - proof of concept generation of Impulse Response using frequency sweeps

Lots of links to samples, VSTis, ...

Return to “Links”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
RefractorDJ
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:41 pm

x

Reconvolve - proof of concept generation of Impulse Response using frequency sweeps

Hello,
I'd like to share with you this proof of concept. It's a script (for now) that enables you to generate sine sweeps for the purpose of recording the response of a medium, for example, to capture the reverberation of a space of the filtering characteristics of a filtering unit (like a guitar cabinet).

You can already do that with Fruity Convolver by recording the response to a click impulse as generated by the plugin, however, as clicks are extremely short-lived (literally one sample long) and because such abrupt change of diaphragm positions will cause distortions, the quality of such impulses will be limited. Sine sweeps solve both those problems, however the recordings they produce won't be usable directly within a convolution reverb (such as Fruity Convolver). As such, we need to "transform" the sine sweep recording into it's click equivalent, and this is done through deconvolution. So far, all such tools have been either too restricted or you'd need to pay for them. This script, and the application that will hopefully follow, are released under the MIT license.

Now I don't fully understand all the maths involved :lol: but I understand the surface of it, and together with those slides from Angelo Farina (check out that 10-year-old laptop page 14!) that has enabled me to write this script, with surprisingly okay results. There are some ringing issues and artifacts from the deconvolution that must be because DSP kinda flies over my head sometimes, but can, for now, be manually edited out.
I have attached a zip file with an example generated sweep, the recording of the Fruity Reeverb 2 in its default state (only with 0% dry), and the resulting impulse response (as generated by the script, without any editing).

Here is the link to the GitHub repo: https://github.com/SolarLiner/reconvolve
I hope you'll find this interesting, and that some of you will be able to help me,
Nathan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Links”