Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
KJinx101
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 pm

x

Work Flow Using Piano Roll's Note Color

The Fluff: (skip this first paragraph if you don't want to read my reasoning [it's just to anticipate people questioning my logic for wanting this in the first place])

Okay so we all know that whether you're working with a key-switching plugin such as Kontakt or with different plugins through patcher, you're probably going to end up using note colors to define your articulations or switch patches. I don't know if there's some shortcut I don't know, but I always have to constantly take multiple clicks to change the note colors. If I'm writing in FL, that means either constantly going back up to the corner to change the color/channel I'm writing in or having to go back through everything I did in one color to redefine that and put in my articulations. But I also like to write music in actual notation software such as musescore and port the midi over to FL to be used with plugins and such. Then, when working with note colors I'm forced to go note by note (or just take the time selecting multiple notes). Still a lot of going back up to the corner or clicking on notes to change the color. Lotta clicks. (Even if you use [Alt] + [C].) All of a sudden key switches become a great idea again because (if you know the program you're working with well) you can easily input key switches while recording midi data on top of the playback. But as we all know, (why we migrated away from key switches in the first place) going back and making any further edits may become a pain even if its only in a couple of small areas because of the nature of key switches not being triggered properly if not done before the note is (during playback). As far as workflow goes this can be frustrating. Either you take a long time clicking away at getting the proper colors the first time or if you use key-switches, you better have it done right the first time (gamble) which means either way there's a decent blow to the pace of workflow. All in the name of speed. The same job done with more speed. This is becoming more of a headache because I'm trying to decide if I want to try to get good with key-switching for workflow, but that's not even an option with patcher...

So now to get to the question that this brings me to... (does this count as TL;DR? lol no the question is...)
Is there some sort of keyboard shortcut I don't know about for changing the note color you're working with? Some other method? Another plugin? Then maybe I could get by with that shortcut and alt+c together.

BUT IF NOT...

I have suggestions, yes. haha. SO. In piano roll....
1. [alt] + [c]+ [#] allows you to change the color you're working with to channels/colors 1-8 automatically (Ex: Alt+C+6 = Dark Purple) (8/16 options ain't bad huh)
2. If a note is selected, the above method in Q#1 will also change the selected note's color also. Then you can just use Alt+C to continue in the same color.
3. I know this is a stretch, but lastly I suggest the ability to also use the method of Q#1 in live recording, and apply the current color to the whole channel's piano roll. The idea is that, if, for example, I write one horn line in one articulation, I can slow down the tempo a bit, go back to the beginning, press record or play and change articulations as I hear them coming by color. This gives you the workflow benefits of key-switching without the problems and also extends this workflow to Patcher. Maybe this could be accessible in the Piano Roll's toolbar (along with 'record' or simply the 'play' button?).

Yeah that's my current problem basically. Just workflow and possible solutions. If that last section belongs in "To Do" I'd want to post it here first in case anyone has better ideas, or I may not need to if there's already some solution like that. Thanks for any help in advance.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”