Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Stargametheband
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:16 pm

x

December Monthly Looptalk User Contest - Beat Me Up

20191204_130812_0000.png
Ah, percussion; the lifeblood of so many songs. Much of what makes a track in modern genres sound awesome or dismal comes down to its percussion and how it is used. Bad percussive samples and instruments, with the right tools and know-how, can be made to sound rather amazing. Good instrumentation in poor hands with little knowhow can make it sound like the instrumentation is terrible.

Thus we come to this month's competition: all entrants are to produce a song using nothing but percussion. Sound synthesis may be done to produce musical instruments using samples or synthesizers. Here are the main rules to define this:

1. Entrants must produce a song that is a minimum 2 minutes long, but no longer than 6.

2. Songs must be constructed using percussive samples and instrumentation only (kicks, snares, hats, toms, marimbas, xylophones, etc.)

- For the purposes of this competition, the definition of "Percussive Instrument" shall be defined as any instrument or object that is struck with either a mallet, stick, or hand. Pianos, despite having a percussive construction, do not qualify, as the mallets producing the sound are not held by hand.

3. 3rd party vsts may not be used. FL Native vsts may be used under 2 circumstances: first, as a means of taking an atonal percussive sample and making it tonal (such as using Vocodex to synthesize a sort of synth pluck out of a kick sample, or Harmor to mangle a snare sound). Secondly, to mimic a real-life percussive musical instrument, such as a steel drum or a hammer dulcimer. The closer to the real life instrument, the better.

4. Recordings of live instrumentation may be used.

5. Due to the restrictive nature of the rules, 3rd party samples may be used as long as they are royalty free and do not require special permission to use, such as public domain samples. The websites that provide such samples will usually indicate that they are free for use. If used, please cite such sources and follow all accreditation rules governing their use.

6. All FL-native effects such as reverb, gross beat, delay, distortion, phasers, chorus, and others may be used to your heart's content.

7. There are no genre limitations. Make whatever you want!

8. Supply your FLP (or zipped project file, if 3rd party samples or live recordings are used), so we can all learn, be edified, and become wizards of synthesis.

9. Deadline for entry is Midnight, January 1st of 2020.

The sky's the limit on what you can do here. You are NOT limited to making a drums-only track, though you may do so if you wish make it good if you do! For other ideas, maybe use a sampler to loop a small, atonal snippet of a kick to make a buzzing sound, then vocode it to give it a mean growl. Maybe use Newtone or Pitcher to take a Tom and pitch it up and down to make a sort of high-pitched 808.

A great example of this is for Ben Wonder, who made a Facebook video of how he made a hip hop song using nothing but FL Studio, a phone with a recording app, and a roll of toilet paper ("transforming toilet paper into music"). Watch for inspiration! https://m.facebook.com/benwondermusic/

Have at it, and post with any questions you have!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bruellbart
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:46 pm

x

Re: December Monthly Looptalk User Contest - Beat Me Up

So this is my entry for a percussion-only track...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowpatmat
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:24 am

x

Last edited by cowpatmat on Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowpatmat
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 am

x

Last edited by cowpatmat on Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruellbart
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm

x

I don't know if I did something wrong, but it s...

angrmgmt
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:46 am

x

Here is my submission, some straight no-holds-b...

hombre x
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:30 am

x

Buenos dias muchachos. Fue muy divertido hacer ...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”