A question to all the FM Guru´s please...

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Trancit
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 am

x

A question to all the FM Guru´s please...

Why do all synths offering phase modulation sound so completely different???

Testing with a SAW played 1 octave lower (in Sytrus a ratio of 0.500) modulated by a SINE played in the same octave...

Regarding just the lower third of the modulation range (especially the very first hearable sound changes) and with the tested candidates:

- Serum
- Rapid
- Synthmaster
- ANA 2
- Sytrus

they are all soundwise not even in the same universe... I really try to match them with different levels but nothing...

As I wrote especially the first bit of modulation where the tone really changes is that different that there are worlds between them...

Serum changes the sound quite abruptly, means if you apply more and more modulation you here nothing nothing nothing and the next bit brings a completely different result what I would expect from a phase modulated SAW, to a slighter change of the frequency spectrum which I would still call gentle...

Sytrus on the other hand goes directly from nothing to hitting in your face quite badly and is going wild very easily... it´s like "Hey boy... we don´t want to waste any time here... you get all or nothing so choose your side!!"

Rapid first acting like applying a LP Filter fading slowly into a more frequency rich territory and is the most different/harmless from all

Synthmaster is the closest to Serum but again more aggressive

ANA 2 seem to apply first a bit of noise till it goes into a more nasaly thinner sound...

Of course every synth has more or less it´s own character but here it seems nobody is following any rules ... sound anarchy so to speak... :lol:

Any ideas???

Trancit
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm

x

Re: A question to all the FM Guru´s please...

Of course I am aware of synths sounding a bit d...

m@RV
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:14 pm

x

Its simple maths - they obviously use different...

Trancit
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:55 am

x

Ok, I took the approach on the different wavefo...

Trancit
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 am

x

HeathW wrote: ↑Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 am @tranci...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”