fastest way to use loops when working in a single pattern?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
b086
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:06 am

x

fastest way to use loops when working in a single pattern?

i usually build drum parts in the step sequencer, making edits in the piano roll for certain instruments as necessary. sometimes, i want to add a loop to the pattern, and trigger it using the step sequencer -- that is, i don't want to drag it to the playlist, fit it to tempo, and build the pattern in song mode with the pattern also in the playlist. i want the flexibility to write around the loop, maybe retriggering it as desired from the step sequencer, and still be able to benefit from the amazing channel looping feature of the step sequencer, which is one of my absolute favorite features of fl.

but it's not exactly easy to do this (ok, it's not "hard" either but it's kinda annoying, especially if you are auditioning multiple drum loops and you don't even know if you want to use the one you're trying out in the final version of the track).

here are the options i see:

1. drag the loop to a sampler channel. figure out the loop's bpm. divide that number by the bpm of the track, multiply by 100, and input that value into the multiplier section of the sampler. this works 100% of the time but it requires a calculator and a fiddly process of ctrl-dragging the time multiplier knob. annoying.
2. drag the loop to slicex. now it's in time, and this is great, and you get all the fun stuff that comes with slicex, but you have to program the slices in the piano roll (no easy retriggering) or live with the auto-dumped score (or one of the fun auto-dumping alternative options, which admittedly ARE fun), and you can't use the fun stuff that's in the sampler channel. sometimes there are slicing artifacts, too, especially for non-transient material, and some transient material gets a little wonky when sliced and stretched, too.
3. fruity granulizer seems like an option? but it doesn't autosync to project BPM (unless i'm doing something wrong). am i doing something wrong?
4. directwave seems like an option too but it intimidates me with all its zones and programs etc., and i just tried it and it appears to also not autosync and requires more knob-fiddling.

is there something i'm missing? is slicex the best choice for the lazy man? is there a faster way to do it in a sampler channel?

SuperTRev
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 am

x

Re: fastest way to use loops when working in a single pattern?

Last edited by SuperTRev on Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”