Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
b086
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 am

x

at what point do you split by channel?

FL's ability to write multiple parts of different length for different instruments in one pattern is delightful. cloning those patterns to make variations is also delightful. but then when it comes time to make your arrangement in the playlist, you don't necessarily want to split all of those cloned/varied patterns by channel because you might wind up with several identical patterns for the same instrument.

for example, if in Pattern 1 I have a four bar drum loop with a melody, and i close it to make Pattern 2, but in Pattern 2 I only change the melody, I don't really want to split Pattern 2 by channel because I'll wind up with duplicate patterns (the drum patterns will be identical to those from Pattern 1).

what do you do? do you just delete all the duplicate patterns at some point ("select unused --> delete"?) do you split by channel once you have a single complete loop in a single pattern, and then make variations as you arrange the (now separated) patterns in the playlist? (if you do this, you lose the ability to work in pattern mode, and have to loop selections in the playlist like a normal linear DAW). do you write variations in cloned patterns then cut (ctrl-x) the scores for all of the instruments that are duplicated before splitting by channel? is there some other workflow tip i'm unaware of?

Nogyoff
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:46 am

x

Re: at what point do you split by channel?

b086 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 am FL's abil...

JOJOLO
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:40 am

x

I mostly use patterns with a single instrument....

hidrux
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 am

x

I use split by pattern after merging a concept ...

b086
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 pm

x

AdventureKid wrote: ↑Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:59 am ...

Nogyoff
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm

x

b086 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 pm Nogyoff ...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”