Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
isay
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:18 pm

x

feature request: piano roll multiple instruments usability

Hello!

First, i really love FL Studio.

Second, due to #1 it makes me suffer even more when certain obvious and logical things are absent.. :). especially, when they were requested on forum for quite some time.. :).

So, getting closer to the request.

Solution:
On the piano roll instrument selector we have a list of instruments participating within our pattern. Let's add to that list two columns of checkboxes. First new column is "Shown". Second is "Editable".

Then, if we wish to move a part of notes for instruments 1,4,7, we can just open the piano roll instruments menu, quickly uncheck boxes for instruments we do not want to affect, then just "GROUP select" the notes we need to move and to be happy.

That's 5 seconds in compare to 30 minutes of tedious hard work.

A side UI improvement would be to color code the instruments on piano roll, as an option, instead of just "ghosting" them. So that we could pick the "color-instrument" (as in windows "painter" you choose colors) and draw the notes in the same piano roll. A neat feature would be here to "right click" on these color boxes panel to make them non-editable/editable within the piano roll.

Also, about the columns: by default the first one is checked for everything if "ghost" notes option is selected. and the second one is by default checked if "editable ghost notes" option is selected in preferences.

Problem:
Complex patterns consist of multiple instruments. Splitting these into multiple patterns is meaningless, because then we could just associate instruments with tracks, which we do not like, because we like FL Studio.

These instruments play a piece of music together. However, sometimes we decide to move some notes. And that requires us to move ALL the notes for other instruments as well.

Right now, we have to do it manually. It's a terrible and painfully unnecessary time eater. Right now i sit in front of such pattern with ~10 instruments. And yes, i need to move a lot of notes.. in every piano roll for every instrument.

Because there is no way to select "ghost" notes altogether with the "current" notes.

So, it's a huge waste of musicians' lifetime.

My understanding why that was not implemented:
I believe, that due to the problem that it's impossible to separate the required instruments, when you wish to move the notes. All ghost notes look the same AND they do OVERLAP. so you can't choose what you want if you want a specific GROUP of instruments within a pattern.

It's not a hard to implement option but it really could save a lot of time. I don't know about others, but i always need to move the notes back and forth during new melody creation.

I really hope for this, guys :). And right now i'm going to go and move notes manually, one by one, for my instruments. sigh.
Last edited by isay on Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “To Do”