Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
threegeese
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:34 pm

x

Re: musical/audio terminology.

Thank you for the conversation. It pays off, I think we might establish the ultimate truth about 'perfect pitch' in this very thread - for all mankind. :D
You still have to show where longtime remembering of absolute pitches would improve a single thing, regarding music making. You just assume it.
Is it not a fact that acquiring long-term absolute pitch hearing ability adds positively to overall capabilities of a skilled music maker?
That's my point. It adds almost nothing, on its own. It does not mean anything musically in itself. Would you have hired Joybubble (the whistler) for music transcription? Look the poor guy up. But APR also often comes as a by-product of musical training, so it can serve as a marker of musical skills, most of the time. Its like seeing callosities as a sign of hard work. Or the bartender who can discern beer brands by the plopping of the lids. It comes with experience, but it is superfluous, you can just read the labels...
You've got two applicants for a job, with fully equal abilities in all areas, except that one of them has demonstrated long-term absolute pitch recognition ability and the other has not. Which one would you hire?
I would obviously take the one without APR because long-term remembering of absolute pitches is of no import here and as there are so many admirers of 'perfect pitch' out there, the perfect pitcher would want more money. :mrgreen:

Your constructed case says everything about the insignificance of APR. It is like saying:
Two candidates are completely equal, but one can tell the number of keys of all brass instruments...
who are any of us to question that quest for absolute pitch. Personally I find efforts to develop one's wetware admirable, especially compared to my own path of cyborgification.
You are right with both things. Trancecrafter seemed to suggest he somehow needs APR for music making, I wanted to know why. Not questioning the quest here! His researching of the phenomenology of timbres is one of the more interesting things on this forum.
I admire wetware abilities too, who doesn't? I watch all those Jacob Collier videos with awe. Otoh, there are still many brilliant musicians not even knowing basic music theory... It is often not perfection that I am interested in.

How is your APR, by the way? Personally, I only remember pitch through the night. My margin of error is a half to whole step, when returning to a track the next morning. But I never practiced...

N_K
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:30 pm

x

threegeese wrote: ↑Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:34 pm Yo...

threegeese
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am

x

Sight singing is a good example! Longtime abso...

N_K
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm

x

threegeese wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am Th...

N_K
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:10 pm

x

TranceCrafter wrote: ↑Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm...

3.Zero
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:06 pm

x

Very interesting topic. I haven't read all the...

♬ ♫ ♪ nΛve ♪ ♫ ♬
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:34 am

x

Very interesting ideas!

This thread is worth reading for many reasons. ...

ElijahFlowers
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:38 pm

x

TranceCrafter wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:24 pm ...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”