Create wild harmonies! Generate Random Chords (a bit OT)

For .flp/.zip project exchange ONLY. Projects MUST use Image Line samples and generators

Return to “flp Exchange”

Forum rules
This forum is for .flp exchange ONLY. Projects MUST use Image Line samples and generators.

It's also encouraged to include an mp3 format render so people can browse your work.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
gummerstreet
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:27 pm

x

Create wild harmonies! Generate Random Chords (a bit OT)

Hello everyone,

just as the subject says, this is probably a tiny touch OT here but I thought it'd be nice to share because someone could find it interesting and give it a try.
You must have seen hundreds of random chord generation programs, but I'm sure you can check out yet another one with my personal take on the challenge. I've designed an algorithm not based on any specific theory, Schoenberg's serialism or classic jazz or classical harmony, but it can produce interesting results.
Of course it's free and open source. It can be used on Android devices, by installing the QPython app and loading the Python script in the app.
There's no GUI, it's a console program that runs in a terminal window. The chords are displayed in letter notation. It will generate a root note, the lowest note of the chord and a given number of other notes spaced at random intervals. The parameters are configurable so you can choose number of notes, number of clashes and repeated notes, lowest and highest interval allowed. It can be used to get inspiration to design original and wild progressions for a track. I'm attaching here an example of progression. It's nothing spectacular, because I didn't have time to play with the program myself, but it gives you the idea.
The algorithm is inspired to random music generation algorithms pioneered by early avant-garde artists on computers installed at universities, so please give me a warm welcome to the 1960s.
You can download the program from my website at the following link: https://fonazzastent.com/random-chords/

Cheers,
Mo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gummerstreet on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “flp Exchange”