Help, I got stuck trying to replicate something.

Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
miles_t3hr4t
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:48 am

x

Help, I got stuck trying to replicate something.

Alright, so There's a sound I've heard in a handful of songs from the 90's, and it's a sequenced loop. It's not the sequence I'm after, It's the sound design of the sounds being sequenced. The 2 cleanest examples of the sample I know off the top of my head are For additional clarity I found an upload on youtube of someone showing the stems of Jam in FL studio, where at 1:37-ish it starts, before it switches to a different part, and you can see the sample is on a layer marked "Synths, 3D FX"

It took me a while to find out, but this is a preset from the Korg Wavestation. From what I have read, it's a sequence titled "Wave Rhythm", which is apparently(?) used in "Dr Wave", "Ski Jam", and more complete in "Pharoah's Jig" (Same video as ski jam, timestamp included)"

The thing is, it's not the sequences I'm after, It's the sound design behind the samples used in the sequences. And since it's the wavestation, It's samples. I don't have a wavestation, hardware or vst, but even that wouldn't help me because it's still a collection of samples.

Are they Synthesized? a real instrument that was recorded? Foley? If it was synthesized, How was it synthesized? if it was recorded with a mic, What are the real sounds, and how where they processed?

Part of me thinks it's FM with post effects, Physical Modeling, or Additive with post effects or filtered noise. I imagine each sound could be remade in Sytrus, Ogun, Harmor, or maybe even Morphine. It was released in 1990, so it probably won't be hardware intensive to make by today's standards, so I imagine Harmor and Ogun would actually be overkill. [edit for clarity. I'm pretty sure it's not subtractive, granular, or wavetable. I don't think it's AM, but I almost never use it to rule it out]

I'm hoping someone here just already knows how to do this, and can teach me. It's specifically the synthetic metallic-ish sounds used. they're sort of metallic, sort of woody...

JoexLy Music
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:20 pm

x

Re: Help, I got stuck trying to replicate something.

the only one i could re create was Ski Jam. sor...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”