REQ: Justice - Phantom Bass

Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Starphaser
Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:19 am

x

REQ: Justice - Phantom Bass

I know this is a question that's been asked quite a bit around the web, but none have really come close to scratching that itch (closest was made using a novation peak and even that wasn't amazing). Just wondering if anyone had ideas on how to achieve this almost vocal-like distortion on the bass synth (seriously doubt it's slap bass samples considering the sustain). I'm mainly just wondering what chain I could put on a channel to get a distortion with the same tone and character. If it helps narrow down the technique, the only tools they would've used are Cubase and Garageband stock plugins. About all the help I've got from the internet is SOMETHING involving at least 1 saw wave and a lot of distortion layers, whether clipping and/or overdrive and/or saturation unspecified. There is often mention of a bitcrusher/downsampler in the chain, though I wouldn't place your bets on it being in there.

The bass is completely isolated from 1:55 to 2:23. No drums, no sample, just bass.

Here's a general list of things that helped me get a similar sound
- Novation Peak Synth remake, directly sourced from the creator. He'd probably share the FLP if you asked, but the bass is pretty much 100% hardware
- Harmless, similar character without enough distortion
- For another track by them, Genesis, but I'd imagine it could help with general investigation (8:49 for the main bass)
- Ableton remake, no hints on the patch but I sent an email to the guy today.
- Justice MWTM webinar, but doesn't have much in the way of this bass or others like it (only bass i remember it covers is the typical slap bass that you also hear in phantom)
There's also the DeFrock sounds Justice pack, buuut the Phantom patch is unfortunately one of the very few that aren't that great. For pretty much any pad, lead, or most basses it's still preem.

Thanks for your time, even if you don't respond directly I just want more people even just thinking about this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Starphaser
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:09 pm

x

Re: REQ: Justice - Phantom Bass

2 Things: Bit too chorus-y and not distorted e...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”