Ease how to locate routing

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
DTortola
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:31 am

x

Ease how to locate routing

Use Case: I route from one instrument to another, like using Cthulhu, Layer o Patcher outing events. After some time without using the project, I forget what routes to what. I have to go instrument by instrument checking what midi channel is its input/output, and for Layer, which are its children.
What I do to remind myself is using channel names, like "Cthulhu>0" "0>Bass 1" to know that Cthulhu has midi output to channel 0, and that Bass 1 has midi input from channel 0, but for Layer is worse, because it ends up like "Layer 1>Pluck 1, Synth 3".
FL Studio can detect what goes where in a fraction of the time, so that when I hover on an instrument, the hint panel shows not only the label but also that in/out info.
One possibility is postponing that info like
Cthulhu *>3
meaning Cthulhu outs to 3, or
Bass 1 2>*
meaning Bass 1 gets input from Midi 2
Layer 1 *>(comma separated names of children)
FL Studio can do better than that, because it may filter out the connections that are not relevant. My static labels have to be there, but say that in one particular pattern I use Layer 1 to send events to Piano and Cello. In a second pattern I use Layer 2 to send events to Cello and Bass, and Cello also gets whatever is in Midi channel 3. If I hover on Cello, since FL Studio has a single pattern selected, it knows that each of those patterns should look as follows
Cello Layer 1>*
Cello Layer 2>*
Cello 3>* (when there is something, somewhere, that goes to 3)
The syntax could be [In list]>[Channel name]>[Out list] instead

Return to “To Do”