Is YouTube really using -14 LUFS rule on everything or am I missing something ?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
bloodcool
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm

x

Is YouTube really using -14 LUFS rule on everything or am I missing something ?

Hello to you all :)

********* Before anything, this subject has been solved thanks to @shroomhead_one and @Shruard7 replies so thanks guys !! And here is the answer :
I almost always compare my masters to others. Preferably big ones.
But this time, I compared my master through WLM Plus (which is Waves' loudness meter) to a song I downloaded (just for the test) though a YouTube to mp3 service. And as @Shruard7 mentioned :
Shruard7 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:23 pm
it downloads the track in its real lufs level
And @shroomhead_one pointed the 'Stats for nerds' which indeed indicate a -5.7dB volume operation from YouTube.
So YouTube actually lowers the volume to match to -14LUFS which is what I was wondering about but using a wrong method until now :mrgreen:

********* Here is my original message :

So I've been working like crazy and I'm back to making music. And I can't wait to share my new track.

So as usual, I'm working on the Master before posting it on YouTube. I have an effects rack with iZotope Ozone 10 and WLM Plus by Waves with a preset made for YouTube streaming.
And I found my Master rather low in volume compared to others if I respect the -14 LUFS rule.

So I imported a track by Rok Nardin called "Where is your God now" (amazing track) in my session, and found out it was measured as a -8.7 LUFS long term max... :!: which is WAAAAAY over the top. :shock:

I watched tutorials on WLM Plus several times and think I'm doing it right but my uploads are way less impactful and loud because I sometimes need to put them down by -4dB to reach the sacred -14LUFS...
I always listen to the whole track with WLM Plus engaged and put the volume down if it ever goes over -13.5 LUFS (which still has the little green check).

So I'd like to know why I see this : Rok Nardin = -8.7 LUFS and it's on YouTube and I still see topics on the need to make our tracks -14LUFS :?: :?: :?:

If anyone knows the answer, I'd be more than happy to know why I'm bothering :lol:

Thanks a lot and have a great day ;)

Sebastien
Last edited by bloodcool on Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shroomhead_one
Content Creator
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:21 pm

x

Re: Is YouTube really using -14 LUFS rule on everything or am I missing something ?

If you right click a video and then click "Stat...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trancit
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

x

Re: Is YouTube really using -14 LUFS rule on everything or am I missing something ?

Infinity Records wrote: ↑Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:59 ...
Last edited by Trancit on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”