Sticking points using hardware synths and effects

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Liquid Proj3ct
Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 am

x

Sticking points using hardware synths and effects

Hello. Recently I was trying some hardware synths and effects units with FL Studio 9.6b. The last time I did it was with FL Studio 5. I thought that something changed with the new SynthMaker Dashboard and new fixes for Dashboard. However there is too many flaws yet.

I know you're busy programming new features FL Studio, but I humbly ask you take a look to hardware integration with dashboards when you find the time or just one feature each version, bit to bit. As far as I know FL Studio is the only host with those dashboards, and I think they should work as the most of people expect (like Virus TI series without audio).

I consider these feature request are important because most of professional users (people that earn money with music) use hardware gear. In the past FL Studio developers made Fruity Video plugin for them. I think you could do the same with hardware gear.

Any hardware gear could work with FL Studio with total integration if:

1. The latency could be automatically compensated. This shouldn't be a problem, since other (cheaper) hosts can do it.

2. Using a SM Dashboard (for CCs) and a MIDI Out channel (for notes) is pretty redundant. SM Dashboard should be enough for send CCs and notes.

3. FL Studio doesn't record any midi message that wasn't previously linked to any virtual knob. This means that if you record any hardware knob movement (MIDI format, not as audio) you'll hear the sound tweak while recording but you will be unable to reproduce it after recording.

4. SM Dashboard and Dashboard are unable to read hardware knob settings. This means that if you tweak any parameter in your hardware the dashboard won't reflect the changes.

5. SM Dashboard is unable to write CCs once it has been initialized. This means that you can save your project with your dashboards settings, tweak (or change the patch) your hardware synth, reopen the project and the hardware synth won't revert back to dashboard settings and patch. ie: You program a piano like sound in your dashboard, then you close the project and program a pad sound in the hardware synth. When you open again the project with piano sound it won't be transmited: you will play a pad sound.

6. Related to 5. We haven't enough sysex support, so we cannot save the settings and patches within the flp.

7. Dashboard writes, however, any CC that has been tweaked each time you replay the project (and as i stated on 4. it's unable to read the new CCs). This means if you tweak any knob on Dashboard and then change the patch, the new patch will sound with the old knob position once the project will stop (undesired 'hybrid' sounds). The only solution for this is delete the Dashboard and open another new one.

At the moment I must advice to everyone new with hardware that they should use it exclusively with MIDI Out channels and program and save the patches exclusively in the hardware synth. Please, do useful the dashboards, take advantage of them.

That's all, thanks for read :)

Michael Dow
Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm

x

Ive used hardware non stop since FL5 and ivw al...

Dynaudio82
Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:53 pm

x

Michael Dow wrote: Ive used hardware non stop s...

Dynaudio82
Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 am

x

Last edited by Dynaudio82 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mistan
Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:55 pm

x

Sup bought a Virus C a few weeks back f-ing g...

Initium_Thoth
Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm

x

Mistan, you can do automation controls with mid...

Dynaudio82
Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:39 pm

x

Initium_Thoth wrote: Mistan, you can do automat...

Initium_Thoth
Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:16 pm

x

temptation, I am really not trying to argue aga...

Dynaudio82
Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:55 am

x

Initium_Thoth wrote: How can Image Line have an...
Last edited by Dynaudio82 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

/AND/
Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:15 am

x

Mistan wrote:Sup bought a Virus C a few weeks b...

Dynaudio82
Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:38 am

x

- come on guys! I know here are more Hardware ...

Fitzgrade
Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:44 pm

x

I fully support this thread i hate the fact tha...

Fitzgrade
Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:46 pm

x

Muad'Dib wrote:Mistan wrote:Sup bought a Virus ...

vic
Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:02 am

x

Strange though, as it's just a digital box runn...

Dynaudio82
Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:22 pm

x

We need it!! http://forum.image-line.com/view...

the machine
Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 pm

x

vic wrote:Strange though, as it's just a digita...

magnumko357
Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 pm

x

Like i said. I asked for some of these features...

Dynaudio82
Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 am

x

I dont understand to the developers... really i...

e.g.:
Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm

x

I guess as one of the few hardware users I shou...

Michael Dow
Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am

x

Coming back this, i do agree that the implement...

Dynaudio82
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:06 am

x

Michael Dow wrote:Coming back this, i do agree ...

68willis
Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 pm

x

Chiming in here as well as I am a Harware user....

Dynaudio82
Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:53 pm

x

SM is a pain in my head, the native Dashboard =...

Return to “To Do”