Please help dumb down Harmor for me

The place to upload Harmor presets and discuss programming.

Return to “Harmor - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Rx
Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 am

x

Please help dumb down Harmor for me

I’m trying to get my head around Harmor and would appreciate any help with dumbing it down a bit. I’ve put my thought process below and please feel free to jump in with corrections or answers to the questions.

Starting at the beginning…

Any sound can be created by combining sine waves (Fourier Theory).

A fundamental pitch (e.g. A 440 Hz), can be combined with exact multiples of that frequency (e.g. 440 * 2 = 880 Hz). The exact multiples are called harmonics.

Inexact multiples are called inharmonics or partials.

Using some of the diagrams from the Ogun tutorial, the harmonics can be visually represented by vertical bars (height = amplitude, horizontal position = frequency)

And the Ogun timbre envelope illustration shows that Ogun has 32,767 possible harmonics.

So if I look at the Harmor “Timbre 1 harmonic level” for the default patch, it appears as a flat line:

If I mouse over the first endpoint, the help box says “Point ½: Harmonic 1 0.00db 1.00”.

And I can mouse all the way to the right and see it goes up to 516 harmonics.

How does this envelope translate into words? So for example, when I play a C5 on my keyboard, what generates the sound?

Does it mean that with the default patch Harmor is essentially a string with a C5 fundamental frequency vibrating 516 harmonic ways, all at the same level? (0.00db above the default db level)

And not to get too deep, but what does it mean that we can draw curves on a single harmonic? For example, the “Timbre – accordion” envelope has a curved envelope that during Harmonic 2 (and others) changes it’s db level.

So does that mean the frequency of Harmonic 2 varies amplitude over time? But I thought this was a snapshot of harmonics and their frequency, and independent of time so how can time work in?

nucleon
Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:16 pm

x

Re: Please help dumb down Harmor for me

The default Timbre 1 envelope generates the par...

Rx
Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:47 pm

x

nucleon wrote:The default Timbre 1 envelope gen...

gol
Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:53 pm

x

So maybe if a SINGLE harmonic has a curved top,...

Rx
Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 am

x

gol wrote: no, "harmonics" don't have range, th...

Return to “Harmor - Presets & Programming”