My Vision for Patcher (Mockups Included)

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Futuremotion
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 pm

x

My Vision for Patcher (Mockups Included)

As a bit of background, I've been a loyal FL Studio user since about version 2.5. I absolutely love Image-Line, and I generally direct any aspiring producer I can to FL as I firmly feel that it's the most efficient production environment on the market right now. In just about every use-case that I can think of, there is almost always an elegant solution in FL.

Baring a few stability and CPU use problems, Patcher is a huge step forward in workflow because it finally allows artists and sound designers to save complete and reusable instrument presets with complex FX chains. Essentially, combining mixer presets, channel presets / generators, and customized macros all in one preset is an amazing thing. There is nothing not to love about this functionality.

Unfortunately, there is one area that I feel both Patcher and FL Studio in general falls short on - which, if changed intelligently, could drastically improve workflow and introduce a wide range of new creative possibilities for producers that rely heavily on complex modulation. Much of this revolves around the current process of linking and properly scaling multiple parameters from internal and third party plugins to a single control.

My proposed changes (below) are a rough and dirty attempt to improve upon what I perceive to be a clumsy implementation of parameter linking and input mapping.

Editors Window:

1. Every new instance of patcher is auto-populated with six default "special" knobs, or what I've called Macros. The reason they are "special" is because they are always persistent and remain locked to the top of Patcher's main window for easy access and tweakability as you continue to refine a sound. The idea is similar to performance controls that come with many soft synths, I.E. Alchemy, Massive, etc. These wouldn't interfere with or replace dashboard controls, the only difference is that they are persistent and allow for quick multi-linking.

2. Ideally, you can toggle macro visibility by clicking on the button next to the "x" on the top right. This would hypothetically collapse or hide the top section of Patcher to free up real estate if screen space is at a premium.

3. Each macro has a button that will "arm" it. Once a macro has been armed, you are then free to tweak any number of parameters on any plugin inside of patcher that you would like to link to that macro. This essentially would function identically to the "Multilink to controllers" feature in FL itself, except it would just link directly to the armed control instead of popping up a series of remote control dialogs. With this change, you can now easily chain-link very large numbers of parameters - from any number of plugins - to a single control, in seconds.

Macro Controls / Mapping Editor Window:

1. A new tab was introduced to the patcher interface, dedicated to editing and refining the mappings created from macro multi-linking. Basically my vision here is a version of the remote control settings window, but on crack.

2. Each parameter link would auto populate inside of this window and allow you to customize its mapping to its assigned macro. I've included quick minimum and maximum sliders as I believe this is the most common tweak that most people would like to perform on the standard input mapping formula. There are also quick linear and exponential toggles that would remap accordingly within the min/max range. This would be extremely helpful when dealing with FM synthesis as it can be very touchy (hence my screenshot of FM8).

3. To remove a link, simply click the x on the right of the listed assignment.

4. To filter links by macro, you can toggle the display by selecting any combination of numbers next to "Filter:". This would help with large amounts of links.

5. Alternatively, if you would prefer to use your own mapping formula for any input, you can select the formula toggle, and it would then use this rather than the quick minimum / maximum sliders (see the first link on the screenshot for an example).

In summary:

And that's it. As UI/UX is my profession, I also want to mention that these were put together rather quickly (about an hour) - and they aren't without flaws. For instance, having more than six macros on top would be awesome if it could be done somehow. I'd also love to see something like this built in to FL itself - not just patcher, I.E. an enhanced version of the dashboard with the same parameter linking feature set.

So in conclusion, if you feel like this could be useful to your workflow - please speak up!

Edit2: Fixed screenshot order / phrasing.

orion2010
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 pm

x

Re: My Vision for Patcher (Mockups Included)

DAYYUUMMMM!!! IL Should hire you as their prima...

m@RV
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 pm

x

Most user ideas (including my own) suck - but I...

Futuremotion
Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 pm

x

Thanks guys! I know they aren't perfect - there...
Last edited by Futuremotion on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ainch
Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm

x

I reckon this is exactly what patcher needs, al...

[novelty]
Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 am

x

For a minute or two I thought this was an offic...

gol
Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:59 am

x

Patcher is still far from doing everything it s...

gol
Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:46 am

x

Patcher does need a way to "activate" a bunch o...

nucleon
Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 pm

x

Futuremotion wrote:How are the Reverb / Distort...

[novelty]
Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 pm

x

nucleon wrote:Futuremotion wrote:How are the Re...

toby
Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 pm

x

Nice looking UI, I am definitely hoping for so...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EOD
Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:52 am

x

I love this idea. Reminds me of NI Massive's m...

Isomatic
Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:02 am

x

I'm really really digging this and would essent...

gol
Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:43 am

x

Lets look at a simple scenario - say I have a ...

Generdyn
Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 am

x

Can't believe that Gol isn't keen on this! Thi...

nucleon
Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:36 pm

x

Futuremotion wrote:A plugin implementation woul...

nucleon
Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:03 pm

x

Futuremotion wrote:Great tip, I didn't know tha...

reflex
Site Admin
Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 am

x

Futuremotion wrote:If you guys could get some f...

reflex
Site Admin
Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 am

x

What nucleon said about right-clicking should h...

gol
Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:19 am

x

Maybe there will be some multi-link in the futu...

reflex
Site Admin
Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 am

x

gol wrote:to me all that's needed is a multilin...

FEARme
Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:00 am

x

I'm really glad this thread was written. I was ...

[novelty]
Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 am

x

Dr. Varney's topic about a change in mixer desi...

nanda K
Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 am

x

honestly, its a really cool idea. u designed an...

xbitz
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 am

x

+1 for quickly assignable macros inside Patcher...

levendis
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 am

x

Great idea! Humble of you to propose 6 Macros. ...

tysk
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:48 am

x

bleakapathy wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:06 am W...

bleakapathy
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 am

x

Tysk wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:48 am bleakapa...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”