Notes are added monophonically in FL11... WHY!?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
EllisA
Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 pm

x

Notes are added monophonically in FL11... WHY!?

Some strange tweaks were made to the piano roll, specifically to the paint tool.

In all iterations of FL Studio that I have used, you were able to do almost all of the editing you needed to a piano roll with just the paint tool. You could draw notes, delete notes, and reposition notes without any need to touch the keyboard or switch tools.

With FL 11 all of this has changed. You are now required to execute more actions to complete the same tasks. FL 11 now by default requires you to input notes monophonically with the paint brush. If you want to draw notes for a chord, you are required to hold the shift key, otherwise you'll just move existing notes. Sure, pushing the shift key is not that hard, but it's an unnecessary action. What advantage do you have by imputing notes monophonically and why do you need this to be the default functionality?

It doesn't end here however. You used to be able to delete notes by simply right-clicking and dragging the cursor across the undesired notes. This no longer works. You now will simply "paint" the notes if you do this. I'm not entirely sure what this feature is for, as it seems to merely disable notes without deleting them. You can still right click to delete, but you must be perfectly centered on the note (the 4 way cursor will appear). This is annoying when dealing with small notes, as centering on them might be quite difficult. Now the easiest way to erase a passage is to select the delete tool. Again, this isn't the biggest of deals, but it was a tool that I actually never needed to select and use since that functionality already existed with 1 simple right-click.

The paint brush used to work like the "smart cursor" does in Pro-Tools. You have every thing you need for common editing needs without having to select different tools. I don't think any functionality has been removed, it's just been made a little more difficult.

audiosabre
Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 pm

x

Re: Notes are added monophonically in FL11... WHY!?

Please revert the behaviour, or make it optiona...
Last edited by audiosabre on Wed May 01, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MvR
Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm

x

I think it's a stupid decision too. I always us...

Yorrrrrr
Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 pm

x

I agree old behavior was better. Can't get used...
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed May 01, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gol
Thu May 02, 2013 7:40 am

x

I see. But what about the Pencil? Do you really...

EllisA
Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

x

Changed my mind. I love the new paint brush. I...
Last edited by EllisA on Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynex
Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 pm

x

In all seriousness, I do prefer the old method....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gol
Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm

x

1. Add another click to everything. What's bett...

NU-KEG
Thu May 09, 2013 1:21 am

x

We need some kind of option like this below, do...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”