Problems using multiple Novation Launchpad S

Get support here - http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... Deckadance

Return to “DeckaScripting”

Forum rules
Deckadance is no longer an Image-Line product. For support please go here - http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... Deckadance
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Scoox
Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 pm

x

Problems using multiple Novation Launchpad S

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the IL forums and I am very happy to finally jump in. Having used Traktor for the past two years and done many gigs with it, I still find Traktor to be a more complete tool than Deckadance, except for one thing: mappings. I am a bit of a scripting nut and I couldn't stand Traktor's lack of a proper scripting language. Doing mappings in Traktor feels like climbing up a ladder with my hands tied behind my back, so DeckaScript pretty much was the deal breaker for me. I've just purchased a license because I see great future in the product and want to support its development.

------------------------------------

I am pretty well versed in Traktor and I can tell you with confidence that Deckadance could easily become the next big thing once a (very) few issues have been taken care of. Today I will only talk about the one that's most important to me.

My plan is to use 3 x Launchpad S and 1 x BCR2000 to control Deckadance. Using a single MIDI controller is very straightforward, but using more than one poses a few challenges. Here is why:

Deckadance is able to tell which MIDI device a message came from:

Code: Select all

if(name == "Launchpad S")
{
	// routines
}
but there does not seem to be any way to tell Deckadance which controller to send data to!

One way to work around this limitation is to use a different MIDI channel for each device. However, the Launchpad S is hard-wired to communicate on Channel 1 and that cannot be changed, therefore if you connect two Launchpads, the LEDs on both of them will look exactly the same. I was able to work around this by using a translation table in MIDI-OX, but this solution is far from ideal as it involves three bits of software running instead of just one! Furthermore, this solution only works for Note and CC messages: when SysEx messages are sent, all connected devices may respond as SysEx messages are sent globally.

The 2.30 update allows users to MIDI Ins and Outs separately in Preferences > MIDI Scripting. Let me tell you that THIS is the only reason why I bought Deckadance today, because before this update a workaround would have been even more tedious.

I am hoping the developers would consider re-writing the following API functions to also allow users to specify the target MIDI device:

Code: Select all

void sendMidiMessage (int status, int data, int value);
void sendSysExMessage (const std::string &str);
Thanks for reading my boring long post!

Scoox
Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 am

x

Re: Problems using multiple Novation Launchpad S

You sir rock!! I am afraid I am going to be mak...

Scoox
Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 am

x

Re: Problems using multiple Novation Launchpad S

L.S.D., hows this coming along? I am really exc...

Return to “DeckaScripting”