Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Scoox
Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:14 pm

x

FR: Improved browser indentation

[Post updated on 2017-09-12]

Sorry guys but this browser thing keeps getting me from time to time! Look at this example here, if we look at the item "Augmented", most people new to FL Studio would tell you its parent is "Stamps", but it is in fact "Melodic - Chords":
2017-09-12-140834 Browser indentation.png
Another one, see the "Default" item, it's really hard to see which items are on the same level. That's because "Default" and "Arpeggiator" appear vertically aligned, so of course everyone will think these two items are in the same tree folder, but they are not, in fact "Default" is an item within "Arpeggiator":
2017-09-12-141223 Browser indentation.png
I understand this is a feature not a bug, but every piece of software that features a tree view always displays children to the right of the parent folder. This is a very effective and intuitive way to represent hierarchy, and I think FL should embrace it as well instead of the current unusual implementation.

Here's an old mock-up I made for FL11 when I first posted this. Note how the all tree nodes, including files, are connected by a dotted line (unlike the current design) to make hierarchy super clear:
2014-06-13-192414 Files indented.png
And here is what the browser looks like in Studio One:
2017-09-12-150038 Browser S1.png
In my humble opinion, the indentation scheme used in Studio One makes more sense to my silly brain. The fact that other users don't moan about a quirk doesn't necessarily mean they like it: it often means they've just chosen to live with it because it is not a huge issue. I'm only trying to make FL better, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scoox on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

Scoox
Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:22 am

x

Re: Indent files in browser!

I am not trying to be sarcastic but I don't kno...

gol
Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 am

x

FL12's browser does both. You can't see the val...

Scoox
Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 am

x

gol wrote:FL12's browser does both. You can't s...

TheDichotomist
Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 pm

x

FL's browser shows the full file name when you ...

gol
Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:41 pm

x

what is wrong with you all? even FL11's browser...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scoox
Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:10 pm

x

Gol, you are right. Your screenshot just made m...

Scoox
Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:41 pm

x

I'm not being OCD or anything, but I keep scrat...

Spivkurl
Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:19 pm

x

I can see the value in the option for display l...

Return to “To Do”