Why I am about to switch to a different DAW.

Post everything that's off-topic for the other boards here.

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
norda
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 pm

13 x

Why I am about to switch to a different DAW.

Dear FL Studio community,

I love FL Studio but there are serious general problems I would like to discuss with community and support. My last project was my biggest project so far and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS. The song I produced got me a major deal which I am thankful for but I started to realize that the workflow is bad in FL. My upcoming projects will be challenging and I can’t work like this in future. I apologize already if I counted anything that applies to the lack of my knowledge! Feel free to discuss, agree or disagree with my following points:

1. GROUPING:
    Bad grouping of instruments in channel rack. I wish there was something like a drop-down menu. Let's say you click on "drums" and all the drums open and close again. I must make a lot of side projects and bounce files between them because otherwise the overview would be too bad. Can you imagine how annoying that can get?

2. VOCAL EDITING:
    Melodyne and Vocalign are not implemented. For example “Studio One 3” you don't need to transfer audio first. Click on audio file, directly opens in Melodyne or Vocalign do your edit BOOM done! (Sorry but Newtone doesn’t compare to Melodyne at the moment)
3. FX:
    You cannot chop a sample in playlist and have only certain chopped parts applied an FX (for example a delay FX on only certain syllables. Instead you need to do automation clips.
4. COMPING:
    For comping VOX, there is no certain solution. You have to find your own complicated way. Studio One offers for instance very time saving vocal comping options.
5. PLUGIN DELAY COMPENSATION:
    5.1. Metronome is not in sync
    5.2. Try this: Setup a vocal in playlist and route to channel with Autotune, setup a clap that plays on beat and route to another channel. Route the clap channel additionally to a second free mixer channel so that the clap plays double. Realize that both channels aren't in sync?
    5.3. When Bouncing stems the time gap caused through plugin delay compensation doesn’t get compensated. The consequence is that when I bounce my files of my different side projects they aren’t in sync with each other. Let’s say I edited all my vocals in a side project and bounce them for the mixing engineer. Then I bounce the instrumental stems. What will the mixing engineer tell me? Right he will say, DUDE!!! why are the vocals not in sync with the beat?!!!
6. MIXER:
    6.1. Instruments and audio files need to be manually routed to Mixer? Or clicking on the instrument and then pressing CTRL + L? For every single one of the files? When adding Instruments in “Studio One” the name of instrument and the routing is automatically applied to mixer channel. Why do I have to waste my time for this in FL Studio?
    6.2. No Drag & Drop of single mixer channel FX into another mixer channel?
    6.3. Copying all mixer FX in a different channel with “right click” select “File” and dragging “safe mixer track state as” is way too complicated…
7. PIANO ROLL:
    As far as I know there is no way to trigger a note in Piano Roll earlier when the transient of the sound is not at the beginning. You have to turn of snap to grid and even then, the first beat of the pattern you can’t go earlier, meaning you have to place your pattern in the playlist in a different way.
8. HOTKEYS:
    No custom hotkeys?
9. UNDO:
    If you accidently replace a sound by drag & drop you can’t return through “edit” and “undo”! This can be very annoying!
10. PLAYLIST:
    The playlist has bad automatic organization. You have to move automation clips manually to the right places. On each Track I have to do “right click” and “Auto name”! This could be all automatic…
11. AUTOMATION CLIP:
    11.1. Changing the arrangement is always complicated because you have to start cutting your automation clips which are not independent. Clicking on “make unique” brings new problems with it:
    11.2. Making an automation clip unique doesn’t make it unique, it creates a new one. A new automation clip means more spam in the channel rack and that is not the only problem. Let’s say you have 2 automation clips controlling one knob. What happens if you replace the plugin and decide to control a different knob with both automation clips? Well you will not get an answer to this question, just try it out yourself!
12. BOUNCING:
    Bouncing stems in Wet and Dry is too complicated. Other DAW’s make this process a lot easier.

I would be glad if you can prove that I am wrong! I really don’t want to switch my DAW!

Thank you!

Dynaudio82
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 pm

3 x

Re: Why I am about to switch to a different DAW.

You are not wrong at all, and this review is in...

telecharge
Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 am

1 x

sql_error_uname wrote:and because i work with m...

FireWalk
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:08 pm

5 x

A lot of times when people are getting frustrat...

kitekrazy
Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:46 pm

3 x

It appears the OP does quite a bit of external ...

Dynaudio82
Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:49 pm

1 x

JOJOLO wrote:norda wrote:2. VOCAL EDITING: Melo...

kocho1984
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 pm

4 x

norda wrote:I love FL Studio but there are seri...

norda
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 pm

0 x

Thank you guys already for your answers. I'm go...

ReedIndeed
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 pm

3 x

norda wrote:Thank you guys already for your ans...

Scott
Site Admin
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:18 am

15 x

norda wrote:Lifetime updates sound good for the...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Getbuzzed
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:20 am

0 x

One of the very positive things about FL Studio...

kocho1984
Thu May 04, 2017 7:41 am

1 x

Even to use trial version of Cubase, you need t...

Ansio
Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 pm

0 x

kocho1984 wrote:Even to use trial version of Cu...

kocho1984
Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 pm

1 x

I really don't find FL to be a god while it doe...

Trancit
Thu May 04, 2017 11:14 pm

2 x

silikonanswer wrote:There is not a cracked vers...

aumordia
Fri May 05, 2017 5:15 am

1 x

Familiarity may breed contempt, but I think ano...

norda
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:25 am

0 x

Guys, you have to check out Fl Studio 20, I'm d...

norda
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 am

0 x

Guys, you have to check out Fl Studio 20, I'm d...

Return to “O.f.f T.o.p.i.c”