We know that you are working hard to provide us the best possible DAW, hands down for that we love you
Now, I have used extensively FL Studio and have so many ideas of improvements I thought I would do a list here:
I use an "annoyance/impact" scale at the beginning of each proposal: from (1)="lowest impact/annoyance" to (5)="I expect it to be in the next release!"
- PL10 (5) an easy keyboard shortcut to make unique samples, patterns etc. That's amongst the most used function that I click on.
- PL1 (5) merge audio samples (not just group them) : 2 waves selected on the same playlist track -> merge -> one big wave sample, with some silence in between eventually depending on preferences settings.
- PL2 (5) more advanced control to adjust size of the playlist tracks: I am spending a lot of time in zooming and unzooming... Not sure yet how, but could be improved.
- PL3 (5) a keyboard shortcut (like pressing control key) to unselect clip(s) from an existing selection, while pen tool is selected: it's easy to select patterns this way, but way more difficult to deselect a few patterns within the selection you just made for instance.
- PL4 (4) completely hide one or several tracks in the playlist (not just "compact" it). To me the classic "+" and "-" buttons with collapse/expand them all is a must.
- PL5 (3) save the time markers from the playlist in a single file: once you have created a markers template (using a reference track for instance) you could then re-use it for other projects. Now I have to re-create all time markers if I want to follow the same song construction (or make a copy of an existing projects and delete everything in playlist except the markers, mixer-tracks, channels...).
- PL6 (2) select and move multiple time markers in the playlist at once.
- PL7 (2) Select and move multiple tracks at once in the playlist: up and down, easy peasy.
- PL8 (1) hide "pattern selector" in the playlist. Why I don't use it: either I need to create a new pattern (knowing that it costs nothing to do one more, just F4) either I need to duplicate or re-use a pattern already in the playlist so I click on my loved pattern and click again where I need: pouf it's there, cloned (and that's amazing btw )
- PL9 (1) have a start track marker without changing the greying layout behind
- CH1 (4) The behaviour of channels groups is confusing. When adding a new channel, if a group is currently opened, the new channel should go in this group instead of another group (sometimes Audio, sometimes "other"...)
- A1 (4) extend automation clips to the left: not just to the right (this is really frustrating)
- A2 (3) select multiple automation points at once, with a "lasso" type tool
- A3 (3) easily re-assign an existing automation clip to another audio/VST target: for instance a sidechain pump via volume automation used on a bass can be copy paste and "reassign" to the lead (it's feasible but not easy)
- M1 (5) Plugins are not loaded with "smart disable" by default. I still don't understand why. So from times to times I have to go remember to go to macro -> smart disable all plugins.
- M2 (4) Rendering send tracks: now we can render multiple tracks in one click, which is awesome. However, when dry tracks are routed in parallel to some send tracks (right tracks menu), the send track is exported in one wave file instead of producing as many send tracks as there are dry tracks routed to it. Therefore, for instance with a reverb send, we currently end up with a send track with all tracks using this reverb in the same rendered wave file. A post-render treatment separately for each wet (reverb) track on the different instruments is not possible any more. The only remediation to that is to export dry+send tracks separately one by one, which kills somehow the bulk render feature. This would be an advanced feature, not sure if many DAWs allow it anyway.
- M3 (2) move multiple effect plugins in mixer track at once down or up, rather than one by one.
- M4 (2) when you make custom colours for mixer track or playlist tracks, save these custom colours and propose it again even if you quit FL studio in the meantime. Now the palette is reset to standard colours each time you leave FL Studio. So good luck to find again the exact custom colour you used previously !
- M5 (2) right click to "insert new track" in the track list.
- M6 (2) Bulk operations on a selection of tracks: for instance, routing several tracks selected in only one click.
- M7 (1) I do not understand the purpose of "view editor" in the menu, as it does the same thing as clicking on the plugin name.
- M8 (1) Rename/recolour a mixer track renames the corresponding channel track(s) automatically.
- PI1 (4) ctrl+mouse-roll and alt+mouse-roll do horizontal and vertical zooming in the playlist. In piano roll only ctrl+mouse-roll do vertical zooming, the alt+mouse-scroll in the piano roll decrease the current value in the control section, why such difference? Another keyboard short-cut should be used in the piano roll for control value edition.
Same remark goes for control + selection for multiple notes selection/de-selection: not the same keyboard shortcut to select or deselect.
- PI2 (4) when the piano roll is already opened and you open a new pattern, the first channel where notes are present is opened even if these are only ghost notes: it should open the first channel only when there are real notes present (not ghost ones), ignoring as well any muted channel.
- PI3 (1) the control section on the bottom left could display much more buttons: for instance all parameters modified in the current pattern, rather than having to click on the control menu first.
- PI4 (1) ignore ghost notes from a selection of (other) channels: this way we can keep notes ideas of other channels without seeing them in the current piano roll opened.
- CL1 (5) Envelope menu should be always available, for each and every time a sound sample is added in the channel rack, not just when it is dragged and dropped in there from the browser.
- CL2 (5) the middle mouse click button replace a sample currently focused by the sample clicked. However, if there are stretching/pitch settings applied on the original sample, they are not applied the same way to the new one. Very often my new sample is speed up much higher, or multiplicator is set to a strange value...
- CL3 (5) The time button has an erratic behaviour: often shows a very little value but copy pasting the same value gives a different result on the sample. You should check this carefully.
- CL4 (4) Better pitch and time stretching algorithms. The ultimate goal: if you can have an algo which can pitch an hardstyle kick and still sound awesome, stop here you found the Graal.
- CL5 (3) A volume (and pitch and...) envelope directly embedded in the waveform preview would be awesome. It would avoid having to open edison or spend considerable amount of time playing with In and Out faders.
- CL6 (1) pre-computed effect EQ has a strange sound behaviour, almost like compressing instead of changing the tone.
- G1 (5) stop stretching (long) calculation: currently when you stretch a sample by mistake, you get a looooong time to wait before the process is finished if sample is long. A "cancel" (=stop) function would be very useful to stop immediately stupid stretch (when your computer is not set to NASA standards), for instance long acapella mixes. Hitting keyboard on cancel key does nothing unfortunately.
- G2 (5) Not sure if it comes from my config but I put it here: when I bounce a VST to audio, it is slightly shifted in time. Very annoying for any instrument with strong transients, for instance, and it might create phase effects (I had the issue today with layered kicks). Besides, it is strictly impossible to adjust the wav sample created exactly where you need: the precision is not enough in the playlist.
- G3 (5) Even with all plugins set to "smart disable", when playing nothing (iddle) the processor is still used more and more while the project gets bigger and more pluggins are added, while idle state should mean no processor use. Maybe that's coding of plugins though.
- G4 (3) when audio is bounced, volume of wav file is lower than originally played before bouncing. Again, might be my config but I looked for any reason for this lower volume to happen and did not find any.
- G5 (2) when I install a new plugin, I don't want to re-scan all folders to have it available in the list of plugins: can I please target, select and add the new plugin only?
- G6 (2) option to disable the automatic recording of initialized controls. So many times I was wondering why a midi value would be back to something although there was no automation clip before realizing it was because of it had an initialisation somewhere.
- G7 (2) a menu to customize our own shortcuts, so many applications allow this... (Blender, Photoshop etc)
- G8 (1) a help button which will display the keyboard shortcut for any action you just did
- G9 (1) a video version of FL studio, aiming at producing videos (with a bit of sound)
- PP1 (1) I have too many plugins (maybe that's the issue...), the plugin picker is useless: my screen just get filled-in with plugin names, some of which are even not displayed correctly... I would like to rather have a "plugin picker" menu where I can select my favourites plugin which I would find there. I have a folder in the plugin database to do so.
Please let me know if I am unaware of existing features matching any of the above.
Thanks for reading! (if you did )
Ps: just in case real magic would exist, I am available for a Skype/phone call/live session in my home studio (Amsterdam) if any dev wants to chat...