I derived useful formulas for Fruity Parametric EQ 2 and volume fader

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
superkemali
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:15 pm

x

I derived useful formulas for Fruity Parametric EQ 2 and volume fader

While some other EQ plugins allow you to type any desired Gain, Frequency or Q values, Fruity Parametric EQ 2 doesn't. It only allows you to type values from 0 to 1. These values then correspond to some other value in dB, Hz or Bandwidth through a mystery function. This makes automation a bit annoying since the hint bar only gives you a percentage rather than dB for instance and you can't ever know exactly how much is it going to be.

Until now. I figured them out and made a calculator on Desmos where you can just type the desired values and it will give you the value that needs to be typed in Fruity Parametric EQ 2 to get that desired value. And while I was at it, I also derived the formula for the mixer volume fader that you can also find in that Desmos link below. The formula for the fader also works for Fruity Send and Fruity Balance. Probably on some other instances too but those are just the ones I tried. Let me know if there's more.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/egt4lkk9ow

My original motive for finding the formulas was to be able to transfer EQ filter settings from Room EQ Wizard to FL Studios native EQ. This allowed me to transfer measurements from my room and my headphones to PEQ 2 so now I can conviniently change the compensating filters from FL Studio while recording whitout ever needing to open Equaliser APO. I didn't want to use third party EQ plugins because in some instances FL Studio crashes in my computer when 3rd party plugins are used in patcher.

But the benefits didn't stop there! When automating volumes I always automated Fruity Balance or other plugin instead of the fader so I wouldn't need to sacriface the fader since it's a really convinient volume control. Now I can just use PEQ 2 to give a boost or cut whenever needed and the fader now controls the average volume. The math is so simple (see useful values below) for it that it doesn't even bother me that the hint bar doesn't tell me the dB value when doing automation.

Now its also possible to transfer EQ settings from other EQs to PEQ 2. Just keep mind that Q is scaled weirdly in some EQs. Sometimes you don't even have a Q control but rather a Band Width. They are equivalent like wavelenght and frequency but not the same! Its also possible to make measurements from microphones and make DIY mic modelling. Since we're using native EQ, its easy to share these models on these forums. And there's probably many more things that can be done that I haven't come up with right now. The sky's the limit really.

Some useful values:
  • Fader Volume
    • 0 dB ---> 0.8
    • -6 dB ---> 0.59843 (~0.6)
  • PEQ 2 Gain
    • 18 dB ---> 1
    • 6 dB ---> 0.66666
    • 0 dB ---> 0.5
    • -6 dB ---> 0.33333
    • -18 dB ---> 0
  • PEQ 2 Frequency
    • 100 Hz ---> 0.23299 (~0.23)