Obtaining Perfect Pitch and using a DAW.

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
TranceCrafter
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 pm

x

Obtaining Perfect Pitch and using a DAW.

Here is a document I wrote up describing much of my thought process for the last 4-6 years.
I've found through doing ear training for the past 6 years, as well as spending lots of time studying the different instruments of the various classifications of the orchestra and their various timbre's, tone-definition, and texture.... it's become more apparent to me as I have done this rigorous studying that the different ranges of frequency across a piano are very specific to certain notes (due to the equal temporament system).

also learning some physics has helped me to understand that when we hear things we are really experiencing a complex system that involves processes both on an acoustic-level as well as some things we know less about such as the cognitive processes involving sound and language.

today I spent some time studying the range on a piano because I feel that a piano best represents the entire frequency range of the orchestra (roughly from 30 Hz or so to 4 kHz)

If you separate that range into the 7 or so octaves of the piano, you can really come to terms with the idea that as you traverse up or down different note ranges on the piano you are really just changing the frequency (rate) at which the strings on a piano can oscillate.

frequencies in a piano recording that feature low notes below middle C (C4, according to scientific pitch notation) sound recognizably different than the frequencies played from above middle C.

also, furthermore, you could theoretically separate the piano into thirds (bottom end, middle section (4th octave), and upper end).

through more ear training, I think I can see myself memorizing the characteristic tone of an E2 as compared with an E5 for example.

and also through further ear training my accuracy at determining which pitch inside the octave I am hearing.
Now, I don't have perfect pitch but about 7 years ago I had an entirely different way of looking at how to use fl studio. I spent time learning music theory and it drove me to learn further.

I used to have to "hunt" for notes. I couldn't tell you or describe what a bassoon playing an E2 sounded like, or describe the fact that there are actually different tuning systems and you need to know multiple of them in order to compare them.

here are my latest scores on this ear training app. one of them measures pitch-accuracy, the other measures interval accuracy.
interval training 11-22-2020.png
new high scores 11-9-2020.png
basically, I've been treating myself as a guinea pig in an experiment to try to obtain perfect pitch. the goal is so I can imagine a melody, and know what note I need to enter into the computer before I enter it.

I had another thread that was originally dedicated to learning more about theory and applying it to the technical skill of using a DAW, but I guess this goes a step further...?

do I have perfect pitch if I get all my guesses right after 50 tries? or 1000?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HDSQ
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 am

x

Re: Obtaining Perfect Pitch and using a DAW.

From what I can tell, perfect pitch isn't reall...

Splunes
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:46 am

x

People aren't born with perfect pitch. They le...

BJG4Ever
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm

x

Splunes wrote: ↑Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:46 am People...

N_K
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 am

x

BJG4Ever wrote: ↑Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm This ...

TranceCrafter
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:17 pm

x

Boring but Useful.

through my own experiments with the piano, I've...

visiblenoise
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 pm

x

N_K wrote: ↑Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 am BJG4Ever w...

TranceCrafter
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:41 pm

x

having established the basis for understanding ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TranceCrafter
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:44 pm

x

here is an update on my progress. I do not thin...

N_K
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 am

x

TranceCrafter wrote: ↑Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:44 pmi...

TranceCrafter
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:42 am

x

N_K wrote: ↑Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 am If you sit...
Last edited by TranceCrafter on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”