Double-click + drag gestures are overly difficult to perform consistently

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Perfect Human
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:07 am

x

Double-click + drag gestures are overly difficult to perform consistently

FL features some "double click" shortcuts, e.g. double-middle-click and drag the piano roll/playlist to scroll and zoom; double right-click and hold on the playlist to mute clips.

I'm a long time user and I've had trouble performing these consistently for as long as I've been using these shortcuts (and I use them constantly). I thought for a long time that the trouble was caused by different things, such as the stiffness of my middle click was keeping me from double-clicking fast enough, etc. I would always just have to keep spamming the input over and over until it worked. Well today I figured out exactly what the trouble has been all along.

In order to perform these shortcuts FL requires you to hold your mouse cursor very still. I have a few big issues with this:

- There's no way for the user to know that (I've been using FL for over 15 years).
- My mouse at least is less stable while doing double clicks on anything other than the left mouse button, leading it to tend to drift slightly while performing these actions unless you do it very deliberately.
-Since these are dragging "gestures" we're not actually pointing the mouse at anything specific to start, therefore it's not intuitive to have to completely halt the mouse. I also find I tend to for example move the mouse slightly down as I prepare to drag it upwards, the motion preventing the double click from registering.
- There's no actual reason to require the mouse to be still for these shortcuts, as long as the cursor doesn't leave the relevant window.

It would be a huge QoL improvement for me to see that requirement removed as I'm dealing with this issue every single time I use the software, and I've been gaming and using computer software for almost 30 years so I shouldn't be struggling with performing basic inputs!

Return to “To Do”